Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Desperate is anyone here right now? Major sever prob m 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahale2

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
Compaq server boots into weird prompt "F1 to enter set up or F10 to continue booting" I'm at my wit's end-- no sleep everyone -- any advice?

You probably have a configuration problem with your server, have you gone into the setup utility and saved any changes it may need. the F1 prompt etc normally only appears if the server wants you to look into something.

Could it be an interface on the scsi channel between the external backup drive and the controller while the backup runs that causes the reboot? I think it is something to do with the backup it reboots when the backup is running

I did do that and ran a diagnostic and still the same.... Arghhh!

Does your server boot when you press F10 ?
If not, you might have a problem with a SCSI or Raid controller.
If your Compaq server is in a warranty program, contact Compaq to get spare equipment (SCSI-controller, Raid controller, motherboard) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Server boots with F10-- problem is it doesn't just reboot, it stops until manually started. Server with problem is my PDC-- network is set up with all prfiles and policies on PDC (not my decision) when users log in and PDC is not up they can't get profiles.

PDC set to reboot every night so it stops every night at that screen-- thought I had fixed it but no. Problem with how profiles were set up by previous admin needs to be resolved too because users are pretty steamed. (Some tried to log in over memorial and couldn't access network)

ok
Go to the server setup and check & doublecheck the configuration.
Make sure that your memory modules are working (when the server boots, and sees that something isn't working well, it will go to the setup)
Suppose the server detects a different amount of RAM, it will halt.

You could try to reset the BIOS to default settings, and reconfigure it if needed

Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Thanks...I should probably not do that until I get it fixed so that users can log in with the PDC offline.... moving files now... the memory is ok and checks out and it spins the scsi devices

If you have a BDC :
Boot your PDC,
promote your BDC to PDC,
move the profiles, change the user properties,
take your Compaq down (it will be a BDC now), and you will have some time to solve the problem... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Will do, thanks. Let you know how it goes. Thanks again, I owe you one man.

no problem
good luck ! Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

I have that same problem its a configuration issue and yes it does have to do with the scsi raid controller. i have a compaq dl380. The "smart start" configuration software is supposed to configure the machine so that it doesnt happen but im just going to call compaq one saturday because i dont have the time or desire to figure out thier crappy software.

"smart start"..... how ironic :) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

I think I may have found the problem. When I go into Control panel there is a CompaqNet Icon for the NIC properties. It does not seem to have any configuration information like my other server does, which shows it set to Interrupt 11 (common for a NIC).

Then when I go into my SCSI adapter properties on the PDC it is set to Interrupt 11. This is the most recently installed device with an external DAT drive attached. I think I just need to go into the setup and reassign some interrupts. I'll let you know how that goes. I realized I can't take the PDC down though now during business hours because there is one item I overlooked redirecting users too. It's a Kickscript that maps drives for users logging into the server.Whoops! Oh well that is easy enough to fix most of the leg work is done as long as I can get this startup problem resolved I'll be styling. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know the outcome. If anyone has any suggestions about my most recent post that is a great help too. I'm having a few profile issues for a handful of existing users and all new accounts I attempt to create.

Dude, just call 1 800 652-6672 Compaq tech support. It sounds like a dead CMOS battery, or the clear CMOS jumper set in wrong position, or something like that. Also, for desktops at least, just about everything shares IRQ 11 without creating a resource conflict. Also, do you get any other message besides choose F1 or F10? It could also be a BIOS or SCSI BIOS setting. Are you booting to SCSI drives first? What are the drives in the system, what's the boot order in the BIOS,... By the way, in all likelyhood this message is happening during POSt, so it is not software related. When have you ever been able to enter the BIOS after POST?

This might be something taken for granted, but just in case.. If you are promoting the BDC (it is probably the most predictable workaround at this point) Use drive image software to do a hard drive to hard drive data transfer to get the user files over to the new PDC's hard drive. You can create a data partition with partition magic (if you don't have one) and duplicate it on the new drive. Redo login scripts for the drive mappings and she should be set to go.

This does sound like a Smart Start issue. Smart Start is a software add-on that is supposed to "aid" in Diagnostics, Troubleshooting, & Maintenance. We have our Compaq server (Proliant 5500) set to not halt before boot menu. Press F1 - the configuration is in there to disable that. Once disabled, the Menu comes up to "Press F1 for setup or F10 to continue booting", but it times out, and auto continues after 30 seconds. It does depend on what Server you use...i'd try to find an upgrade to Flash your BIOS if it is too old - as the newer Servers do not do this. If you need more help - just give post your Server model, and BIOS info - I'll check for an update for ya if you want.
Good Luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back