Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Desk database 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustaferd

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
US
I am a beginner with Access. The best way to learn is to find a project and work through the process. I did this with a Help Desk database I created.

Now I am working on redoing the access database I created on the fly for the Tech Support logs. I've got a spreadsheet that I have the breakdown of all the tables I think I will need. I have a spreadsheet breaking down the forms as well.

I could use some help later in making sure I am linking or joining the tables appropriately. But before I get ahead of myself there are a couple of questions that have come up that I should get answered before moving forward.

I have created a table called RootCause.
I have also created a table called CallResolution.

What I would like to do whenever I open a new issue I have to assign a root cause to the issue from the dropdown menu (linked to RootCause table). When I select this root cause, I want a list (history) of all the resolutions made for this root cause.

I don't know if this is clear but I am not sure of the best way to do this. Do I need to link the RootCauseName of the RootCause table or the RootCauseID of that table to the CallResolutions table so that whichever root cause is selected for the issue, a list of call resolutions linked to the RootCause table will be listed. From that list I can choose which Call Resolution fits the call issue and select that for my call record - or I can simply add to the Call Resolution.

Second, I would like to add images or files to a database call record so that the record will have an image or file that is related to the issue giving a deeper call record. Any idea on how to do this? What kind of table do I need?

I hope this is clear enough. I hope there is someone out there that can help me or direct me.

Thanks,
Russ
russb@lominger.com
952-345-3650

Paul,

You wrote previously:

Then the control source for each textbox is set to
=ComboName.Column(1)
=ComboName.Column(2)
=ComboName.Column(n)

Combo boxes are zero based columns so 0 is the first column, 1 the second, 2 the third and so on.

Just to Clarify:

=ComboName is actually the name of the combo box which in this case is CallPersonID
and the .Column(1) is the name of the text box, in this case CompanyName, PersonPhoneNumber,PersonPhoneExt, PersonEmailAddress1 etc....

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Russ

Paul,
My website has some additional images to help you better understand my issue.

When I open the Main Form I now get this message: Enter Parameter Value valPerson.Person.Name (see image). Some of the changes I made was to add a PersonLastName and PersonFirstName fields to ValPerson table rather than use a field called PersonName (which is where you would enter the last name,firstname in one field). Somehow there must be a parameter still out there that is looking for this PersonName. Any idea where to look?

I have also added some links with a list of all my Table Names, Form Names, Macro Names, Query Names - hope this helps give you a clear picture.

Russ, the Combo box is made up (in our case) from an underlying query that provides the Row Source for the information. When you create the combo, you have x number of columns. In this case, CompanyName, PersonalPhoneNumber etc. Textboxes are able to reference those values using the column property of the Combobox. It basically looks up the values that are in Column(1), Column(2)..Column(n) which your Combobox displays the information from the Bound column. In this case Column(0). To use the Column Property you put the expression in the Control Source for your Textboxes. That expression will be
=CallPersonID.Column(1)

The only thing that will change in this expression is the number. That number tells the expression which column in the Combo box to get it's information. You don't use the name of the textbox at all in the expression. That's why you are getting the parameter prompt.
I'm around till about 3 today and then gone till Saturday morning. Let me know how you make out.

Paul

Thanks Paul, as you can see I am a newbie at this, but enjoying the challenge.

Your help is much appreciated!

Russ
Have a great new year!

WE were all newbie's at one point or another. That's why these forum's exist.
Have a safe New Years.

Paul

Well, I'm going to guess that the problem lies in your Bound Column of the Combo Box. I assumed that the first column was the Bound column and that it was the CallerID. If its the LastName, then you need to make sure that the LastName is the first column in your combo boxes Row Source.
Can you copy and paste the SQL for the Row Source for the Combo.

Paul

Paul,

You are absolutely correct. I figured this out late friday.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Russ

let me know when you finish this project, i am making a simple on now....

I am continuing to work on this Access Database and have found a road block with the Visual Basic Modules I want to create.

I know nothing about Visual Basic with Access.

When I select New (to create a new module), I can enter my text for the code I want to create, but when I select save it asks me what module I want to save. I want to name the module something else other than module1, module2, etc. I also want the modules to show up which is one of the issues, I can't get the module I just created to show up.

Why? what is happening here?

Thanks !

I don't know why they wouldn't show up. You can't name a module the same thing as the Sub/Function inside it but you can name it something close. Say you have a Function
Function getName(myName as String) as String
getName = Left(myName,3)
End Function

You can NOT name the module getName, but you can name it modgetName or fungetName
so that the name of the module has some relevance to the function inside it. As for visible, look at the Tools...Options and look for Show Hidden Objects. See if that makes a difference. What version are you using.

Paul

Okay - I am still working on this Help Desk Access database.

The problem I am running into is when I am creating a command button. This button when selected is suppose to open the person form so that I can add a new caller.

Name - Command247
Caption - A
Status Bar Text - Add a Company and/or Caller
On click - Main.AddNewPerson

I realize that this is going to point to a macro which I have created. The problem is that it would seem I need to create a module in Visual Basic for the runcode to work.

The problem I am having here is the error message I am getting: Error accessing file. Network connection may have been lost.

I can't seem to get any module to work. I know nothing about Visual Basic so expect I am doing something wrong. I don't believe the code is wrong but something is not right...just can't point my finger on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First, open a module in design view. On the menu bar go to Tools...References and post here all the libraries that have check marks in the box next to them. There should be a half dozen give or take a few. Let me know what they are and we'll go from there.

Paul

Visual Basic for Application
Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library
Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library

That is all,

Talk again on Monday.

Thanks,

Russ

I have made some progress with my HelpDesk database. However, I have noticed when testing the Open, Closed, ReOpen Dates do not work when I select the Status.

In my Main Form I have a Status field with Open, Closed, ReOpen - when I make a selection the date fields should change, but they do not. Instead, I get an error message.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'll need a little more info than that to figure it out. I assume that you have a combo box you are selecting the status from. Where are the dates and how do they relate to the three values in status.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for your response. I will see if I can put together some screen grabs and post it up on my website. A picture speaks more...

I'll let you know when this is ready.

Thanks,

When I enter a new record, the Opened Date is populated with the current date. But if I select Closed from the Status list I get this message: Ambiguous name detected: EditCaller_Click There is no EditCaller_Click that I can find. In the Status properties I have a link pointing to the macro: Main.SetCallDateClosedReopened If I remove this link the error goes away, but it should work!

Here is my web site which will display some screen grabs to help. Unfortunately I don't have a way to post a zip of my database, I can only email this.

- Russ

Well, the first thing I would do is open the Form module, scroll up and down and see if you have two EditCaller_Click events (although this doesn't seem likely it will only take a second to double check). If you do, you can delete one or both of them. Everything else looks OK. I can't see the Arguments for that Main.SetCallDateClosedReopened macro but I assume they are correct. I don't know a lot about macro's but the whole thing looks OK to me. Can you try creating a separate macro that is identical to just the SetCallDateClosedReopened macro so that it's not part of a larger macro, and see if it works as a separate macro.

Paul

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back