Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help debugging runtime error

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadIslets

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
I've written a VB.net app that has been deployed on a users site through a third party. When the user executes the app almost immediately they receive a Common Language Runtime Debugging Services error stating:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x854(2132), Thread id=0xbe4(3044).

My question is this, being a relative newcomer to VB.net 2003 how do I determine what happended and where it happened from these id's and codes? This does not appear to be a situation where I can simply look up an error message number so I really don't know where to turn.

Thanks for your help on this matter!

Have you looked in the Event Log? There may be an entry in there that gives you a bit more info.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

ca8msm, thanks for the reply. Good idea, I'll have a look at this on Monday morning.

Keith

Usually I go back to the code and make sure every Sub has Try Catch logic. Usually you can find out where your application is failing and the program will report the error under your control.

In my catch I do the following:

Catch ex as Exception
dim strRefInfo as string
strRefInfo = ex.Message & " " & _
System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly.GetName.Name & "." & System.Reflection.MethodInfo.GetCurrentMethod.DeclaringType.Name & "." & System.Reflection.MethodInfo.GetCurrentMethod.Name

At this point you can use strRefInfo in a messagebox or write the info to the eventlog to narrow down what might be going wrong along with where it failed.

Lost in the Vast Sea of .NET

Visit my website at www.komputing.com

Thanks for the suggestion, KreativeKai. I included very similar logic over the weekend and figured out the problem before the program ever ran at the user's site. I do like the objects you're using in your Try-Catch statement... will incorporate into my own. Thanks!

P.S. Just don't sink in the vast sea of .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back