Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help creating user name and password to access page

Status
Not open for further replies.

juruk

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
US
I need to create simple web site where I can click on the link and get pop up for user name and password. With one word I want to post some pictures and have restricted assess. The user will be to register and then to get access to the pictures. No fee for it but some kind of security. I don’t know what tools to use and what the best solution is. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Juruk

this sounds very similar to a project i'm doing at the moment as well. for my login/register pages i'm using php4 with a mysql database to store the users info.

you could also use asp.

ss...

PHP works a treat if you know how to use it.

Take a look at he excellent PHPFreaks site w3.phpfreaks.com for some examples of user log in.

If you want people to register, depending on which country you are in you'll have to pay to join one of the data protection policies where you register yourself as a holder of personal information. You will also need to detail a privacy policy on the log in and/or user registration page(s).

The quickest and easiest method to control user access that I know of is CoffeeCup Password Wizard. It generates Flash or JavaScript log in forms that work like a charm and look good to boot. You don't have user registration options with it but this can open up a minefield of potential problems anyway in controlling and handling your applicants data.

A full user registration application will involve PHP or ASP/.NET or some nifty Perl/CGI scripting.

Thanks a lot for the tips. Since I am new in doing this do you know any good tutorials with step-by-step instructions how to accomplish this task.

The PHP Freaks site I gave you the link for above has more tutorials, walkthroughs and fully working examples than you can shake a stick at, all using PHP either on its own or in tandem with MySQL.

Any one of many other PHP sites will have similar articles.

If you want a Perl/CGI solution you could do worse than which has loads of working CGI scripts for download and use. Most are free, some are not. You will need access to your website CGI bin and permission to run custom scripts. Some hosts do not allow this while others do, so check it out before playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back