Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help creating simple contact manager in Access 2007 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

access2007lover

Technical User
Feb 12, 2008
US
I'm new to Access 2007 (and databases).

I'm trying to create a simple contact database in ACCESS 2007 with histories (telephone calls, etc).

I'm looking for a simple ACCESS 2007 example (such as several tables only) - the template provided by MS is too involved for a beginner (just want to study/understand the actual *tables* needed right now).

No VBA, etc., just need help (examples online?) in creating basic tables (and their relationships). Not interested in theory books, just a clear example of tables so I can *visualise* the database.

Are there any good examples (online or in books) for a beginner to learn this? (I'm willing to purchase the info/book/etc.)

Thanks very much!

Brett

If you're new to Access, I suggest you take courses. There are concepts in relational database design, of which Access is one, that people have trouble learning on their own. One, and just one of many, is Normalization. Most books do not mention it. I have a 1500 page book called Access 2000 Bible and it doesn't work through the steps of Normalization. Directly, if you DO NOT normalize your tables FIRST, then you are not following the protocols of a relational database and you will have all sorts of troubles creating forms, queries, reports. Just read through some of these posts in the Access forums and alot of problems are due to tables not being normalized.
Also, you mentioned no VBA. Then as far as a workable database goes, no way.

fneily: Do you know of any good books, or online articles specifically showing examples in Access?

ck1999: Thanks for the link. The templates there look promising.

one caveat regarding those templates... while they may be a good starting point, they have some issues - first one I checked contained lookup fields in the tables.

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back