Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help connecting to my cisco 2800

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyppo

Technical User
Sep 11, 2017
US
hello, im new to the forum,i am studying for my CCNA, i bought a home lab, but i forgot where the set up paper is, so i have two routers and 3 switches , i don't know the ip addresses to try recover the password or default.
is there a way to connect recover them ?
i connected my pc to console port and opened putty, it is asking me for a host address ,no idea how to get the routers ip as i never used them yet.

As you are on the console, use the "break" command within 60 seconds (probably less)....

The break command is putty is a special command and as such you must do the following:

Right click the top bar (the bar where the maximise/minimise and remove buttons sit). That should bring up a menu. Move to special command and click on "break".

This will drop you in Rommon mode:

Type:

rommon> confreg 0x2142 --- Hit enter
rommon> reset

When it boots back up and asks you to go into initial config, type "no"....

When it's booted up with nothing on it, then copy run start or write, but remember this will overwrite the original config.

Oh, as an add on, it's asking you for an IP address because the default for putty is SSH.... change that to serial and type in your com port number you are attached to (it will be a USB port that you can find in Device Manager)....

If you are attached via CAT5e - RJ45 then you are connecting wrong....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back