Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help connecting Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgscit

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
AU
Hi Folks,

I am configuring an Exchange server for the first time and have hit a couple of snags.

I can connect to my Exchange server via SMTP/POP3, but am unable to make a direct connection through outlook.

I have tried entering the fully qualified domain and email addresses, just the short names and a mix of the above.

How do I get the two systems to talk directly rather than the client having to replicate via POP/SMTP?

Cheers,

Pete
[morning]

In Control Panel, Mail, Add MS Exchange service. You will need the server name (not the domain) and the user name. Be sure to click on CHECK NAME.

If it underlines, you have the connection.

GlennA
MIS

Hi Glenn.

Thanks for responding. I have tried this and that is what i meant when I said "I have tried entering the fully qualified domain and email addresses, just the short names and a mix of the above."

when I enter the Exchange Server Name: mail and user Peter (or my email address or anything else) I get the following message:

"The action could not be completed. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list"

I know my email address is valid as it is in AD and I can send and recieve via SMTP/POP3.

Could it be that the account has not been entered into an address book or similar?

How do I get the addresses into the address list if this is the case?

Cheers,

Pete
[morning]

Did you create a mailbox IN EXCHANGE for the user?

GlennA
MIS

Do you mean on:
start>programs>Microsoft Exchange>Active Directory Users and Computers>

I have deleted my account and then recreated it but the general information has not changed.

On the front "general" tab, the email is displayed correctly.

On the "exchange General" tab, the information it the following:
Mailbox Store: MAIL/First Storage Group/Mailbox Store(MAIL)
Alias: Peter

I've tried with a second account as well but the same thing happens. SMTP is available but not direct connection to Exchange.

Have to go - Getting kicked out for the night.

Cheers,

Pete
[morning]

I will assume other users get their email.
Is Peter's PC name something other than his login name or his mailbox name?

Is paying Microsoft $245 an option?

GlennA
MIS

Had problems getting Outlook to connect (post SP4 install), gave up and now use OWA (outlook web access) to connect. It has grown on me and now I can move desks etc without setting up user account in control panel/mail on every computer.

Hey Pete,

Have you set up yourself as an exchange user?

Go to the server:

Control Panel, Active directory computers and users. right click on your name and take Exchange tasks!!

Hope it helps!

YES! Found it.

I had to go into the exchange AD Users and Computers>users>username>exchange general>delivery options>send on behalf of>

I then had to add my user name and when I did the name check in exchange, it worked.

I would have thought that this should not have occurred and would like to find out why. Any clues?

Cheers,

Pete
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back