Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help confirming directories and files backed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2002
US
When I print the arcserve log and look at the summary
for each server it states how many directories and files were backed up. How do I cross reference those files and
directories to verify this? I have opened a command prompt and did (for example) c:\dir /s. When finished I compare the numbers and they are not even close to what is says on the report. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HI,

ARCserve has a utility called "compare".
U can use this to compare what is on tape to the actual folders.

you can enable the verification option on the backup options too.

also,
you can enable :Log All Activity" on the backup options.

cheers
speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Hi Zipper

Yep, there's compare. But for bigger orgs this can take too long (about as long as the backup itself). The jobs I "tend" take all night to run as we do full backups each night. If doing a compare you'd probably run out of time or end up scanning during the day (worth thinking about).

Guess its best to test out as speshalyst says.

Even a compare doesn't guarantee that you can restore your data back from tape. You'll see lots of locked files and other problems anyway. The only true test of a good backup is at restore time.

What about doing some trend analysis on the file counts. You need to have some idea of the number of files on the volume that you intend to back up. Make that your starting point then record the stats from the log each day. You can spot "slack" trends fairly easily that way.

I've found that ArcServe simply can't be trusted in this respect. Note also that "Successful Backup" can be configured and (as I recall) is set to 50% of files to trigger this message off by default. (doh!)

Cheers

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back