Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help configuring Web Server Linksys befsr41 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokken

Programmer
Mar 7, 2001
US
I have MSN DSL (Dynamic IP). I have a Cisco 675, linksys befsr41 router (firmware 1.40.1). I have DHCP enabled on the router. I have another win2k pro machine that is networked to my win2k pro machine I want to be the web server.
I have unbound TCP/IP from network neighborhood. I pulled up the status page from and it reads: IP address: 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 WAN: IP Address: 10.0.0.2 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1
DNS: 206.81.192.1, 204.147.80.5
I have port 80 forwarded to 192.168.1.20, which is the IP of my
server. I assigned it by clicking on properties on Internet Protocol
(TCP/IP) and set the IP address there. I use 255.255.255.0 for the
subnet mask and 192.168.1.1 for the default gateway. Is this correct?

I use the IP address I get from whatsmyip.com and it does not recognize the web server.

I also need to be able to use VPN to access work from my laptop when I
telecommute.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Are both W2K computers connected to the linksys befsr41 router?

What exactly is the Cisco 675, a firewall?
[Is this it? Cisco 675 — SOHO/Telecommuter ADSL Router]

Can you access the Web Server with ? This will just let you know if it's running.

Do you know if your DSL provider allows Web Servers running on port 80? I know a lot of ISPs will block incoming port 80 traffic so users won't be able to setup a webserver.

Another thing you might want to try is, change the Web Servers port to something like 8080 or 8000 and try accessing your Web Server again using your External IP Address. So 192.168.1.1 is the IP address of the Linksys router and 10.0.0.1 is the IP address of your Cisco 675.

So what I would think you would need to do is log into your Cisco router and forward port 80 to 192.168.1.1 which is the Linksys router. I would think the Linksys router would then forward all traffic for port 80 to the appropriate computer that the port forwarding points to.

Again, check to see if the webserver is running. Then check to see if you can connect using your external IP address. If not, try changing the port.

====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

I can access the web page by typing localhost in the server's browser. I can also type the servers IP in the browser on another machine on my local network and the web page comes up (
I'm not sure if MSN blocks port 80. If so I guess I need to forward a port like 8000 to 192.168.1.20. Then would I type 62.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000 to get to my web server?

Thanks,
Paul

Then would I type 62.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000 to get to my web server?

Yes, but if you sign up with a free dynamic dns service they also provide port forwarding for free (
If you type in your browser from any of your computers can they view the webpage? ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I noticed you have port 8000 redirected with no-ip.com. I just got an error when I went to your web site.

- Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back