Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help configuring a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

new57

Programmer
Nov 3, 2001
US
hi guys,

my client would like a server to handle all the following for 5 users:

a. file and print services
b. application and data
c. terminal services

questions:

a. what are thoughts on having only one server
b. if i did this i would configure as follows:
- dual pentium preocessor
- 1 gig memory
- 2 channel scsi raid controller
- 2 36 gig drives with raid 1 (file/print/terminal server)
- 3 36 gig drives with raid 5 (applications/data)

i really like everyones opinion. i personally think they need at least two servers.

thanks

new

Dependingon the applications you are running, I don't see a problem with that configuration. I am currentlly running 20 users in term serv as weel as 5 users conneting to an App, the server is also running SQL2000 on 4 proc's 4 gigs of ram with raid. Granted I am over simplyfing things a bit and make sure your client knows that any additional load on the server will drag it down.

Good luck!

what i forgot to mention that this server would contain the active directory as well.

does this change your opinion?

thanks

My first thought is that is one heck of a single point of failure.

I am used to supporting a much larger client base, so I certainly lean toward multiple servers.

I believe that the configuration you mentioned would handle the load, but not with impressive performance. I'm guessing that this is for a very small infrastructure, so you will probably have a hard time convincing your client to go with two servers.

I have always been of the mindset that a DC never does anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back