Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Computer doesn't boot into windows at all! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroboy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2006
CA
Hi,

someone tried to run a restore point on windows XP pro and now the computer can't boot into windows. Right after the loading screen, it just blanks out. i've tried booting in safe mode, but it doesn't work either. my only other option now is to use a PE builder to extract whatever files he needs and reformat he computer.

Any other suggestion? I would like reformatting to remain a last resort.

Also you might like to try ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console?

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

See the FixMbr and FixBoot commands too, but if it is just a corrupt Registry, Bcastner's links should fix that.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

I tried using these commands in recovery console:
<i>
md tmp

copy C:\windows\system32\config\system C:\windows\tmp\system.bak

copy C:\windows\system32\config\software C:\windows\tmp\software.bak

copy C:\windows\system32\config\sam C:\windows\tmp\sam.bak

copy C:\windows\system32\config\security C:\windows\tmp\security.bak

copy C:\windows\system32\config\default C:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete C:\windows\system32\config\system

delete C:\windows\system32\config\software

delete C:\windows\system32\config\Sam

delete C:\windows\system32\config\security

delete C:\windows\system32\config\default

copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

copy C:\windows\repair\software C:\windows\system32\config\software

copy C:\windows\repair\sam C:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy C:\windows\repair\security C:\windows\system32\config\security

copy C:\windows\repair\default C:\windows\system32\config\default
</i>

AS provided in the link given by bcastner.

Everything works cept the command "copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system"

I went into the repair directory and the system file doesn't exist. I checked other workstations and the repair folder doesn't have this file either. All it has is a system.bak file.

What do i do now?

It should have a system file - but try copying system.bak and then renaming it to system (in \windows\system32\config).

btw - how old is installation/when did you last do a system state backup? Because files in that repair folder will be from either original install or last system state backup - and so may not at all match current state of the machine. Assuming you have system restore enabled, there are much more recent copies of the registry hives in \system volume information (in folder called something like C:\System Volume Information\_restore{DBA0BBCB-A3EA-4494-AB37-23CB0DE9E357}\RP569\snapshot. The files are prefixed _REGISTRY_MACHINE_). Using something like bartpe cd (Google for it), you can copy these to \windows\system32\config to recover this sort of problem (can't normally from recovery console as not in root of C: or under \windows).

i tried renaming it as u mentioned, but it doesn't work. If i do that, windows will gimme a blue screen.

Also, i've tried using a PE builder, 3 different ones in fact, but they can't detect the hard drive for some reason.

What type of drives has he installed are they SATA or IDE? Your PE might require drivers installed via F6?

For what it is worth I have checked a couple of XP machines and they do have a System in C/Windows/Repair.

If nothing else works you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Ok, i tried doing a repair. I don't understand what it's doing, but once it starts up into installation, it says approximately 35mins till it's done. First thing it does is start installing devices and it remains that way forever. it stays at "installing devices" and the installation doesn't progress.

Use the checklists in these articles as a guide to troubleshoot.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

310064 - HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

224826 - Troubleshooting Text-Mode Setup Problems on ACPI Computers

These article will show you some logs that might have some clues contained in them.

Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining

Windows Setup and Device Installation Logging

I had the same problem! PSU was the answer for me. Tried a different psu in the machine and it worked ok swapped it back and it did it again. VERY strange I know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back