Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Comparing AP and GL Balances 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen

MIS
Dec 9, 1998
US
This is a general request for information on how different MIMS users are comparing their AP balances to their GL balances. Is the information provided in the MSB26K,L, and M reports used for this?

We are seeing problems with both non-goods and goods not matching GL.

Thanks

Glen Colbert
gcolbert@RAG_American.com

Glen, I am passing this information on from our Accounting people. I hope it is helpful.

We have used 3 methods of ensuring our GL balances are the correct balances and determining what we owe a supplier.

1. Just using the transaction columns of the msbK,L & M to compare to the monthly transactions recorded in the GL
The transaction columns on the report are correct so keeping a running total on a spreadsheet monitors the balances
The trick is to run these reports for an accountng period, rather than leaving the accounting period blank, and to do this after the accounting period has been closed for all modules.

2. Using the aged listing msr26T to determine the amount owing to a given vendor/supplier.
More tricks:
1. This cannot be run for an accounting period, but if it is run after the msb267 and msb900 have been run it will show the correct balances.
2. This includes ALL invoices in the system, some of which are not recorded in the GL, or are in the GL at purchase order values
i.e those with payment status 16, 17 & 19 are included in the invoice pending account at purchase order values
those with payment status 18 are not included in any GL account

3. I have developed a MIMSVue report which will show the balance by vendor/suppier at a given point in time. If this is run after msb267 & msb900, and if no transactions have been processed afterwards, it will balance to the GL accounts. (still needs some work)

Inco is also experiencing the same out-of-balance problem with the goods, non-goods, and AP subledgers. You will need to run MSH907 to rebuild these balances. Please make sure you have the most up-to-date version of MSH907. Also, run MSB900 first before MSH907.

Another caveot, MSH907 can run for a long time and be resource intensive. On an IBM platform, it has been known to run for 3 days and gobble up 80% of CPU resources. I believe it does run better on other platforms.

Once MSH907 is run, you should be in balance. There is a very good document available from Mincom called "Accounts Payable Subledgers: Guide to Reconcilations" that spells out in detail what needs to be done.

Carey@Inco

Hi Glen, we fixed our problem on MSB26K, L & M in Newmont Nusa Tenggara by ourselves. To repair MSB26L & M you can create a simple query to got a true MIMS_SL_KEY for MSF900, with combining MSF900 and MSF900series (depend on REC900_Type). Usually only for Type C and I, keep data for field Invoice_no and Supplier_no. After that, combine that result with MSF260. Supplier with supplier, Invoice No900I or C with EXT_INV on MSF260. You will got Inv no by system on MSF260 at field INV_NO (INV_NO will be different with EXT_INV if length of invoice no. more than 11 character). Select and change with sql all wrong invoice no. in MSF900 with the right data. After that deleted all wrong transaction on MSF906 (with the key District_code, Process_Date, REC900_type and Transaction_Id and MSF907 (account code 0004 and 0008). Run MSR27CA per period and MSH9B7 (asked Mincom to give a new version). Your problem will fixed automatically. MSB26K only a reporting problem, not database problem. If you still found a message Invoice not on File on MSB26L & M it's mean there is another bugs, we call in here "Wrong room's journal". MIMS create journal in the same time for account 0004 & 0008 in one transaction id. We still working on it.

Thank's
Rina
tyun4217@corp.newmont.com

Oh yeah, I'm forgot to telling you that you must fixed bugs on MSF900 first (MIMS create inconsistently MIMS_SL_KEY if invoice number more than 11 digits). Mincom has been having this fixed. We created the Work Order and already fixed. After that you can repair the history using MSR27C and MSH9B7. MSH907 and MSH90C didn't running well, because only touch MSF906 and MSF907 not MSF900.

rgds,
Rina

There is a new utility program MSB26X which compares the subledger files against the main files (Purchase orders and invoices) reporting exceptions. It has a detail transaction option to display all transactions associated with the subledger to assist in analysis. Please contact your Ellipse Help Desk for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back