Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!! can't delete file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i can't delete an exe file from windows explorer or from DOS.

it says, 'the specified file is being used by windows'.

it keeps popping up every time i login to windows.
how do i get rid of it?

If you're sure this is not a file that is needed, then press [ctrl]+[alt]+[del] and end task everything except systray and explorer (repeat this as many times as needed to end the unwanted tasks). Once you have all of the background applications ended, try deleting the file. It sounds like the file is an application that is loading on startup and running in the background and you cant delete a file that is open or in use.

Hope this helps.

Reboot to DOS or boot to DOS at startup and delete from there. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

what file are you trying to delete ? if oyu are struggling to find it in full DOS mode you will probably find you are having trouble with long file names. you need to use the tilde character ~ for shortening long file names. e.g. c:\program files will be c:\program~1 . type dir to get a list of what you need to type. If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

thanks guys!

it wouldn't delete from DOS but, i followed the advice of Computerguy and i noticed the apllication was running there and i ended the task - it then deleted from explorer!

I don't know much about computers, but if the file is in use, it probably should not be deleted, if it is a system file. Ex. Cookies.dat is a system file and cannot be deleted. Also, you can try to right-click on the file, choose properties and see if it IS a system file, if it is read-only, or a write protected or hidden file. Uncheck these boxes and see if it will delete.
If it's an exe file, a program that is in your startup menu might be using it. Go to C:\windows\startup and see what progrrams you computer starts with. try deleteing the program or unistalling it, then try to delete the exe file. see if this works

2 part ?

When a file is delete even from the recycle bin where do the go, and how do I ensure these files are delete eg. email and confudebtial reports and if possible ho do I recovewr these files without the use of additional software.

2. I want to unstall AOL but it comes up the uninstaller file is amaged and now i cannot delete this file. what do I need to do in order to delete it. Its just sitting there in the ad/remove programs properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back