Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Cannot open Word file

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoc7hoi9

Technical User
Sep 29, 2001
CA
I use Word 2002. Just recently when I try open a file I receive this message:

"The file xxxx is not available."

Even with a file I've just created and saved, same thing happens. If I try to close Word, another message appears:
"Changes have been made that affect the global template, Noraml. Do you want to save those changes?"

or "The file Normal already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?"

What is this Normal file? I have use the repair option in Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" but to no avail. I guess I might have to reinstall the whole MS Office, but hope that someone will have a solution for this.

Thanks.

For some reason you're changing the template, not the document. Open Word, Click File, New, Normal template. Check to make sure it is blank and empty. Close it and save changes if necessary.

To fix your problem, go to Tools, Options, click the SAVE tab. Near the bottom is a line "Save Word File As:____________"
Make sure this says Word Document; NOT Document Template.

I'm certain this is the problem. Templates don't save into MY DOCS, only documents save there. This would explain the mystery of the disappearing documents.

Thanks, DblClck.

I've checked the Tools, Options, Save: The 'Default format' is alrerady set as "Save Word files as: Word Document (*.Doc)"

When I click File Open, the 'Open' Box would show all word doc files. But if you click on a file, suppose file "abc", then the message 'file abc is not available". If I try to exit Word at this point, then the mesage about the Normal file pops up.

I use a Blank Document to create a new file, and save as Word Document. Right afterwards, if I try to open that file, the same message will appear!

Not certain how to fix this, but maybe this may help guide you.

Are you storing the DOCs on a server or local drive?

if local: you may want to check if you have write-back disk caching. if so, try changing it to write-through instead.

if server: could be the server's set caching. also may want to check the folder's/directory's permissions setting to READ instead of WRITE only.

<u>long shots..I know</u>; but, I can't think of any other reasons (other than a virus--which I'm sure you've checked for) why word would let you save and not read the docs immediately after. Especially since you've checked the SAVE AS default.

--MiggyD

PS: just out of curiosity, when you try reading the file(s) do you use the 'last files' list (as in FILE > 1/2/etc) or do you use a file browers (my computer/win explorer/etc)?

Thanks MiggyD.
I store the DOCs on a local drive. My PC is a stand alone system. I have tried to retrieve the files from the 'last files'list as well as in the 'Open' browser. The only thing I could open now is the blank document, and after saving that I cannot open it.

Try the SHIFT key to open the docs. See MS KB at...

At the very top it indicates that this would apply to both Wd2k and Wd2k2. This artical strongly suggests a macro virus, but we all know that--that is not necessiarily the case when it comes to MS products.

Hope this helps you for the time being.

Anyone else care to make a suggestion?

--MiggyD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back