Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Box is taking over the whole page! Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tancan74

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
US
I have a box in my report that starts in my group header and ends in my group footer so that it will encompass my detail lines. It holds two detail lines nicely, but as soon as I get one that has three or more, my nicely lined up box turns into a two pager! When it does this it bumps all of the rest of the group footer onto a second page. Can anyone help with this, I need it asap.

Thanks,
Tanya

I hate to sound desparate, but I think I truly am.
I know have this darn box so that it will stop taking up the whole page and will allow me to have 4 detail lines max before it starts shoving stuff off the bottom of the page. My two are major problems with this are....
1. the box width moves up and down and
2. I need to get at least 9 or 10 detail lines to fit on the one page.

Can someone help me????

The problem is that you used only 1 box to try to solve the problem. Make the box from separate lines...

When you start a complete box like that it will straddle everything

One approach would be to:
1. create a partial box in the header by using 3 separate lines (draw the top line and 2 side lines, making the side lines touch the top line)
2. now in the detail section(or in each detail section)
draw 2 more single lines...down each side
3. In the footer section draw the bottom of the box with 3 separate lines again.

once drawn...tweak these lines till they touch...et voila!

Jim

I have never seen this behavior, and am not sure that I understand it.

If you delete the box (and change nothing else) the number of details that fit on a page changes? This not typical CR behavior.
What version of CR?
Does this happen on other reports?
What printer are you aimed at?
How many groups in the report?
Any subsections in this group header or footer?

Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

Hi there,
I haven't tried deleting the box to see what happens. The customer was specific about wanting a Drop-shadow box around the detail section that doesn't move up and down dependant on the number of detail lines. And that is the way it reacts when it has one or two detail lines. But as soon as it hits a page with three or more detail lines, the box grows so big it actually runs to the second page bumping all the rest of the group footer to the second page as well.

I don't have this type of box in any of my other reports and I am running version 8.5. This report is set to print to a Konica 7060 PCL.

In the group footer, I have two subsections, group footer a and group footer b. My group footer b is actually my second page for duplexing.

I am completely puzzled on this one because when it looks right and only has two detail lines, there appears to be quite a bit of room for it to print more lines.

I appreciate any help I can get on this one as the customer wants to be able to print by Thursday.

Thanks,
Tanya

Deleting the box is a test to see if it is the BOX or something else that is causing the problem.

Does the box end in GFA or GFB? Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Box ends in GFA, will try taking the box out and see what happens.

uh-oh, I think I screwed it up now. Yesterday when I was trying a whole bunch of different things, I managed to make it so the box didn't grow quite as big, but it now shrinks and grows depending on the number of detail lines. even though the top is in the GH and the bottom of the box is in the GFA. It would be good if I could just make it stay in one place and just plain not move. Would there be some way to do that??

Thanks,
Tanya

Maybe, once we figure out why.
What happens when you delete the box. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting

Well, I deleted the box and I can only get it to print 4 detail lines before it starts shoving stuff over to a second page, the same as when the box was there.

Here's hoping that that gave you a better idea of what the problem is! :)

Tanya

As I suspected. The box has nothing to do with the problem.

Try taking the 'keep together' property off of the Group Footer sections.

I tried taking the "Keep Together" out of all group footers, and I still have the same problem. Can you think of anything else?

Thanks,
Tanya

Grasping at straws, now.

Do you have a conditional page break on the detail section or one of the group footers?

Can you try selecting a different printer, and try both portrait and landscape.

Hi Ken,

Well, I think I have gotten as far as I am going to get. I took out the keep together out of my GFA and had New Page After checked, and it was only bumping one text box onto the next page, when I had four detail lines. So, I moved that one text box that was slipping up so that it would get in where I wanted it. I guess now I am going to have to set up a new report to print the records that have more than five detail lines. I think a lot of the problem is the whole layout. There are a lot of things we are trying to shove on one page and it just isn't going to be able to hold it all.

I greatly appreciate all your help!

Tanya:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back