Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!! Black screen!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeron866

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
CA
Hello! i have a little problem and hope somebody can help.The last week or so i have been having intermittent problems with my computer.If the screensaver kicks in sometimes the screen will go black.if i move the mouse no response also no response from keyboard,number lock,cap lock lights will not even light up.when pressed they do nothing.i tried another screensaver and different video drivers all do the same intermittent thing.i do not have hibernate enabled and it is not on standby.i am running an intel 900mhz asus cuv4x m/b,soundblaster live/family,radeon saphire 9000 128 meg,1 gig ram.Thanks in advance.PS i also looked in event viewer and shows nothing,did adaware,spybot hijackthis,cw shredder,and ran virus scan.i am running norton 03.all clean as far as i can tell.also something else i noticed.once after black screen when i reboot it went as far as welcome screen and froze there.i also did mem check,no bad memory!

Hmm - maybe a corrupted file? I'd do a repair install of windows, or reinstall over top of the current one. This would most likely fix any corrupted file.

Some software like MRU Blaster by Javacool Software can cause Screensaver problems.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

You can check if it's the MS Blaster by clicking Start|Run and typing MSCONFIG. (Assuming you have XP) Go to the startup tab and look at the programs in there - the virus sets itself to startup here. It'd be called something like blaster.exe

Hi, I am currently experiencing the EXACT same problem. Did you ever get your problem resolved? I am looking at updating my bios at the least, or more likely swapping out my MB as mine technically doesnt support XP. Thanks in advance...

I suspect a video driver issue. (Particiularly if you let Windows Update update the video driver0>

Head to the ATI site and download a newer and fresher set of video drivers and install.

Thanks, I will try that as soon as I get home. And yes I was letting Windows update the video driver, is there a way to stop Windows from messing with the video drivers?

Set your Windows update to download but prompt for installation.

I never let Windows Update mess with a device driver of any kind (fool me once, shame on me....)

Under Windows Update V you can ask that an update be "hidden" from you so that it does not prompt to install again. (There were similar features under Update 4).

Hello everyone i found my problem with the black screen.I had my cpu overclocked and once i set it back to normal never had the problem since.it has been 3 months so i know for sure it was the problem.

Seems like you have a phenomonon known as the Black Screen of Death, also known as Digital-Satan, the 17th cousin of BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

Yep...Overclocking bad....Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back