Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! Bizarre SCSI problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blader819

Technical User
Dec 28, 2000
US
Hi. I am running a G4/400 Sawtooth, OS 9.2; it has a PCI SCSI card installed that came with the computer (I know it to be an Adaptec, fast SCSI). It's been connected to an external Yamaha CD-RW drive for over a year with no problems. Last week, the drive suddenly wasn't recognized by Toast, SCSIProbe, Apple Disk Utility, anything. I hadn't installed anything new (running OS 9.2), physically moved anything...I did the usual,checked cables, zapped PRAM, made sure the card was inserted firmly into the PCI slot, even tried moving the card to another slot. Nothing.

Eventually I ran Apple System Profiler on it, and the device listing for the PCI slot (whichever slot the card was in when I ran it) was the following:

Slot SLOT-D
PCI Slot
Card type: Not available
Card name: pci9004,7850
Card model: Not available
Card ROM #: Not available
Card revision: 3
Card vendor ID: 9004

And actually, once I ran it and magically, it seemed to recognize the card and listed it as an Adaptec,etc. But that was only once. Now it's back to the above listing; SCSI probe shows only the Mac as ID7, and says "no SCSI bus" at the top of the screen.

As someone suggested, I booted and shut down the mac without the SCSI card in place, and then replaced the card. When I did that, the Mac recognized the card just fine. BUT, when I hook it up to the CD-RW drive again, the Mac again reads it as an unknown PCI card. I am TOTALLY FRUSTRATED, and I dont know what to do--it seems like the drive is fine, the SCSI card is fine, but together there is some problem beyond my fixing. HELP!

Frank

try reinstalling the card software it sounds like the ext. is corrupted gunthnp
Have you ever woken up and realized you where not alive.

I would check the External cables, SCSI 3 are really bad at cracking. Also check the termenation of the SCSI change. If you can't fix it in 20 call someone who can.

1) Confirm SCSI Terminator is in place on SCSI bus or in the back of the CDR drive.

2) replace software driver extension for the scsi card and add a ~ at the beginning of the file name. You may have an Adaptec 2906.

3) look for problems with Toast CD driver extensions or Apple Disk Burner/ Toast conflict between extensions.

4) Zap PRAM (hold down keys option command P R at startup until system reboots)
Thanks, Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back