Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help, BCM50 Basic Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomii

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
GB
Hello,

I'm trying to setup a nortel BCM50 to a standard basic BT analogy line. I'm pretty new to the bcm50 and trying to read manual but not getting anywhere. Basically I'm very confused by all the different part. I have been told I need a GATM4, or a CTM4, and even read about using a standard 25 pair Amphenol cable with a breakout panel (standard 19" rack) which terminates on RJ45 and then use RJ11.

I'm confused on which is the correct/best method I should use and which will require additional keycode?? Please can someone point me in the right direction. If I can just get the system hook up to my bt line and be able to make an external incomming call I be over the moon.

If all I need is to make use of the Amphenol cable, would I need to add any keycode? and how do I know which wire to connect to which?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

tomii

Dasheen, Deweyhumbolt, thank you both and since you're both in agreement I'm sure that vendor has his facts twisted. I was just in contact with another vendor and he is going to contact Nortel to confirm for me...

Strange thing is I can't find any Analog trunk keycode on sale for Rel1 anymore, I guess its just end of live. Also Rel2 seem to be end of live too as vendor are now only selling Rel3 software. Thanks!!

That's right...Nortel no longer supports R1.

Good luck. Obviously whoever u spoke to originally was trying to get u to spend more money unnecessarily.

Hi Guys, I just had a feedback from my other vendor, they also said its not possible for UK BCM50 Rel1 device. I need to confirm that I'm in the UK and using the UK BCM50 Rel1 and what to upgrade to make use of the "internal onboard" analog trunk. They said there are difference between UK and US devices, is this correct?

Ah...just assumed u were in North America. Not sure what the differences are if any between the UK & NA versions. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't believe there is any hardware differential between the regions, only the software is regionalised. The capabilities will be specific to the region you have your BCM set to.

Onboard analogue lines or extns were not available in the UK market for BCM50 Rls 1.0

I am in the UK and have been involved in a few scenarios of this type.

For a Rls 1 BCM50 use will require the expansion chassis, keycode for such and a GATM module.

Hope this helps

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

What would be the reasoning behind that?

Adversity is Opportunity

This is strange
Alot off conflicting options here/

I installed 3 bcm50 rel 1 hardware in the uk that have been upgraded to rel 2 (software.)
I was then given the keycodes for the internal trunks for rel 2 and they worked fine.

So a rel 1 hardware unit with an upgrade to rel2 software will work.

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your info...however I'm still getting different conflicting options from this forum as well as from vendors I contact. Is there really no straightforward Yes or No answer to this one? Will I really end up having to spend money and try this out? or should I just give up and spend tons on a brand new system? :( just can't believe...someone must know!! By the way, Rel2 is no longer available, will have to be Rel3...will it work?

It appears, for whatever stupid reason, inboard analog trunks were not available in the UK on r1. Update to R3, then you can use the inboard analog trunks with a keycode. It will save having to buy an expansion cabinet and GATM4.

Adversity is Opportunity

Hi Deweyhumbolt, snowman50, just to confirm for the "UK system" on R1, upgrading to R3 and keycode I will be able to use the inboard analog trunks?, has this been done and proven? I know you have mention it, but really need a definite confirmation as I've been told by other vendor telling me that the physical wiring inside is not enabled so even with the software R3 upgrade it will not work. I would definitely like to go with the upgrade than new kits..many thanks in advance!! :)

It seems like snowman is verifying that is true. There are several contributers from the UK, hopefully you can get a 2nd opinion. I'm in Az. and cannot verify.

Adversity is Opportunity

It would not make sense for Nortel to be producing 2 different versions of the same hardware for different markets. This is the advantage of then having various market profiles on the software side of things. It is my understanding that all UK hardware R1 that is upgraded to R2 and above now have the GATI capability. If you check back through the patches for R2 and R3 you can see that they are adding the GATI and GASI capabilities to various different market profiles. This would further support the fact that the restrictions on GATI for R1 in the UK and other market profile is purely a software based restriction and not a hardware one.

Yes that is correct..

The release 1 hardware will work if the sofware is upgraded to release 2.
Then apply the analogue Trunk keycode to release the inbuilt trunks.

I have done this on 3 systems that were release 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back