Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help, BCM50 Basic Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomii

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
GB
Hello,

I'm trying to setup a nortel BCM50 to a standard basic BT analogy line. I'm pretty new to the bcm50 and trying to read manual but not getting anywhere. Basically I'm very confused by all the different part. I have been told I need a GATM4, or a CTM4, and even read about using a standard 25 pair Amphenol cable with a breakout panel (standard 19" rack) which terminates on RJ45 and then use RJ11.

I'm confused on which is the correct/best method I should use and which will require additional keycode?? Please can someone point me in the right direction. If I can just get the system hook up to my bt line and be able to make an external incomming call I be over the moon.

If all I need is to make use of the Amphenol cable, would I need to add any keycode? and how do I know which wire to connect to which?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

tomii

Yes, you need keycodes to enable anything on the BCM50.
You can terminate(4) analog trunks, (4) analog stations, and (12) digital sets, but all are keycode enabled.

The rest of your question is just a matter of preference.
Some people like the breakout, some don't.
It's up to you, but its not a requirement.

Hope this helps!

-SD-

SD thanks for your reply. However can you please provide more detail, let say I use the breakout, how would I make this connection to work?, which cable/wires goes where? would this be using the built in 4 analog trucks so I will need to purchase the keycode for this?

Any additional tips and tricks to help me get connected are much appreciated as I'm truely struggling...

Thanks!!

Hi, can anyone help me, I'm still confused and just read that the CTM4 module is only for North America, so is it right to say it doesn't work in the UK? Can anyone give me a detail description on what I need to do to get my bcm50 hooked up to a standard bt (PSTN) line, I don't mind which ever method work best/straighforward would do for me. Thanks a loads guys!!

Either way you need keycodes. best bet is to use the BCM 50's internal analog trunk ports, it has up to 4.

You BCM comes with a wiring chart and a CD, either of those has a wiring chart will tell you where on the BCM 50's amphenanol(sp?) to connect your line.

The wiring chart is in the installation and maintenance PDF. All the docs are available on the BCM itself. Just point your browser to the IP address of the BCM and go.

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for your help. I will have a look at the docs and see. One other thing I'm not sure about is the keycode, I assume to use the main system analog trunk to connect my bt line to I will need a 2 or 4 analog trunk keycode for the main chassis, how can I tell if I already have these on the system or not?

I have a CTM4 expansion module too but I think that will only work for North America is that right?

Thanks again!!

if u only have a main cabinet a ctm4 is unless to u. CTM4 is for north america. Sounds like you should go thru some training to figure out this unit.

Log into the system and see if a keycode fill was entered or connect everything up and if a phone etc doesn't work it means u have no key codes or u connected things wrong.

Line 1 is W/Bl, Line 2 is W/Org. If using the breakout kit, there are icons. Download Element Manager and you'll be able to admin.

Adversity is Opportunity

Thanks all for your expertise and advice so far. It seems like I will have to purchase the analog trunk keycode in order to use the analog line on the main system.

However, my concern is, I have the BCM50 Release 1.0, will the keycode work for this version? or are each keycode version dependant? Also would it be recommended to upgrade my system before applying the keycode? What is the lastest version for bcm50, I see there is a Release 2.0 and also see 3.0, 3.7, 4.0, etc...which are which?

Thanks again all!!! :)

Key codes aren't affected by s/w version. I would upgrade your system. I don't believe 1.0 is supported by Nortel plus it had some bugs. Current rls is 3.0. Make sure u keep your system up to date w/ the latest patches.

Thanks Dasheen, I will try and upgrade if budget permits. Would you say its a complex procedure to upgrade or can an IT minded person do the job okay following the manual?

Where can I obtain the latest patches from? will I have to purchase these also?

Cheers!! :)

If u are an authorized vendor, u can get the patches for free from the Nortel site. Upgrade on the 50 is straight fwd. I upgraded a 1.0 to 2.0 without any problems. think it took about 1.5hrs. If u upgrade the s/w you'll need to access to the Nortel site to generate the upgrade key code.

I'm not a vendor so it seems I can't use the nortel site to get patches or generate the upgrade keycode. Is there anyother way? I mean do I have to use the nortel site or is there anyother way around it? Can I just purchase the upgrade keycode instead? Thanks!!!

u'll have to talk to a vendor and have them generate the keycode once u've purchased the upgrade kit which comes w/ the authorization code which is used to generate the key code.

Dasheen, I have just called up the vendor to purchase the upgrade from Rel1 to Rel3, however what they told me was with me Rel1, even if I upgrade to Rel3 I still won't be able to make use of the internal Analog trunk as the Rel1 hardware is different and my only option is to purchase a new Rel3 system all together, or else get an extra expansion module. Can anyone tell me if what he is saying is correct? With Rel1 I cannot make use of some of the internal features? is that right?!?! Sounds crazy...

They r wrong. In order to use anything on a BCM 50 u need to purchase keycodes. If u want to use the internal analog trunks, u need to purchase a key code. If u want to use voicemail u need to purchase a keycode. if u want to use the internal analog stations u need to purchase a keycode. If u want to use the internal digital stations, u need to purchase a keycode. if you add an expansion cabinet u need to purchase a key code.

Just to clarify, I believe what the guy told me was with my Rel1 system, I will not be able to make use of the internal analoy trunk feature as the hardware for this Rel1 was never design for it and they only enabled it in hardware with Rel2 or Rel3. So even if I upgraded the software I still cannot make use of it. Only way was to get new system hardware with Rel2/3 or get GATM4 expansion and also expansion keycode. Can anyone verify what he is saying correct??

There are on some serious medication. I've installed numerous BCM50s rel 1 with Analog Trunks. Dasheen has your answer. All BCM50 rels have all internal capabilities, providing you have a keycode. And the keycodes carry over after upgrades.

Adversity is Opportunity

NO THEY R WRONG. R1 has always had 4 internal analog trunks. I upgraded the s/w on a R1 without replacing h/w and am using the internal analog station and trunk ports. AGAIN U NEED SEPARATE KEYCODES FOR EACH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back