Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP: BCM3.6 VoiceMSCService Wont Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsantin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2004
CA
Hi,

I tried to image the HDD so I would have a spare, that seems to be sucessful. However when reinstall either the original or new imaged HDD the system wont fully boot. I can login to Element Manager and VNC into the WinNT box fine.

The error Im seeing is:
VoiceMSCService
!* StartD1Channels: no messages from KSU during 10 secs, exiting

Anyone know what this means???
This is a BCM200 3.6

Maybe try to run the universal profile from the platform initialization menu?

Tried that, then it errored out saying "Error establishing DChannel with MSC". Now its stuck in a musical tones reboot cycle and LED 1,9 and 10 are blinking Red in seried (1-9-10, 1-9,10, etc)

Well - the software running under Windows NT is having troubles communicating with the firmware on the MSC card. Considering you opened the box and removed the hard drive, other components might have moved a bit. I would try removing the MSC card from the PCI slot, cleaning the contacts (if dusty) and seating it back into the PCI connector. Make sure you use an anti-static strap when doing it. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, already tried reseating, moving PEC cards, cleanig, blowing, praying.

The MSC Core load fails, the Universal profile hangs at step 1.2 and I have no dialtone on the digital sets. MSC is definitely the issue. Im able to get into the VNC session and see NT boots ups fine, so the HDD is working, just the MSC is dead. I even VNC'ed into the box and tried manaully executing the nortel bcminit.cmd script files (yes a 100% no-no) and mucking with the windows registry (that's how the scripts track progress)

Brought in a vendor today, we tried the same things I've already done. Now we have no options other than replace the system. Could try to find a new MSC, but then would need help from Avaya to trasnfer keycodes, or find a used MSC with equivilant codes. Both would take over a week or two. Looked at putting in a new BCM50 and salvaging our media modules, but I'll be back in this same situation with an EOL product in 7 years, but with 15 year old components.

So, unfortuently I ordered a cisco system today (vendor has it in stock and can install tomorrow), thanks for all your help over the years, great forumn!

Beloved BCM, may you RIP.

If your digital sets won't come up, the firmware is not loaded properly. Normally, your sets should boot just when you power up the MSC card. There is a procedure to force firmware update that might solve the issue - but my memory does not reach back far enough to remember specifics. Sorry. :)

The easiest option would be to replace the MSC card, but the question is how much life the entire system has left. There was a known issue with caps on motherboards on these old systems - there is a chance it could fail in not too distant future, too.

If you are looking for some options, you may take a peek at the following thread:
You would be able to keep your MBM's and digital phones...

The BFT was replaced years ago when the recal came out for the bad caps. If it still had leaky caps it would have exploded by now :)

Im sure forcing the firmware reload would be the next step and probably fix the issue, but can't find anyone that knows how to do that. Even the tech today said he rememebrs seeing that once before and had to call nortel to fix it. Unfortuently running a BCM200 with 3.6 I'd be hard pressed to find anyone around who could recall how to fix that. (cant even get 3.6 images on the Avaya support site, we checked and could only find 3.7)

Im sure with the colelctive help on here I could probably get this back to life in the few days (or weeks), but cant have all the employees using cell phones for a week.

We've been researching new systems for a few months now in preperation of this happening, today's events just expedited the decision. Looked at IPO and not really impressed. Cisco is offering us a 0% financing option AND a new customer customer rebate cheque.

Cisco does a lot up front....but down the road, expect hefty prices for license upgrades and software upgrades....just from my experience.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back