Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! BCM 450 5.0 Unified messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

stik62

Vendor
Dec 5, 2007
US
Has anyone setup the Message forwarding within the Mail box Manager to enable Voice mail to be forwarded to a Email address and have the MWI turn off and delete the Voice mail? We are using an exchange server and not installing the client on the users work station. No i have not installed the latest patch's yet but will be. I just want to know if this even works and some guidence on how it was made to work. I can get the Vmail to the Email. Im having a problem with it truning MWI off and deleteing the Vmail when that mode is selected. Thanks in advance.

I just set up message forwarding on a bcm50 r3, and it turned off the message waiting lights and deleted the vmail. I didn't think it would do it, but it does. I didn't do anything to make it work. Just set up SMTP and set up the mailboxes. Make sure the exchange server can reach the bcm. There also must be some setting in the exchange server to send an acknowledgment that the email was read. I'm not really an exchange guy, so that's about as far as I could go.

Some versions of Outlook are set to automatically send a read-receipt when a mail is read.
Some versions of Outlook are set to never send a read-receipt when a mail is read.
I suggest you make sure that your Exchange server is allowing the read receipts to be sent back to the BCM. Furthermore, as bluemr2 says, make sure that the exchange server can reach the BCM.

In Element Manger, check what you have for the "System Name" (under System - Identification) and also for the "DNS Domain Name" (under System - IP Subsystem). Together, they give you the bit after the @ sign in the from email address that the BCM will use when sending an email.
Check that this domain name resolves to the BCM's IP address. If not, the read receipts cannot be delivered.
On my system, the SystemName is "BCM450" and the domain name is "company.local".
If I "ping bcm450.company.local" at a command prompt, then I see the BCM's IP address in the pings. You should be able to do this also.

Thanks for your input. At least i now know it does work with someone. There must be in a fix in one of the patch's because what we are seeing being sent back is mailer-daemon@bcmname.domain.local. The read receipt process does work from outlook to outlook. So the first thing is the patch's. I will post after they are installed.

Bluemr2. Were you able to accomplish the meage forward with out installing the unified messaging client on the work stations?

For all those that read this and those that posted I found the issue. It was DNS on the clients network. DNS records were not updated with the BCM name (due static IP settings on the BCM) so the network had no idea how to get the read receipt back. What we were seeing was mailer-daemon@bcmname.domain.com. I had hte client test ping BCM by name which failed. Had them add a DNS record for the BCM and all worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back