Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! BCM 1000 upgrading using a Rls 4.0 Hard disk from another BCM 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theonlyphilbee

Technical User
Nov 26, 2012
GB
Hi All,
I have a BCM 1000 that is currently running Rls 2.5, I have Purchased a upgrade license and have the .LIC file, I was advised that I would need a New/Replacement Release 4.0 BCM 200/400 Hard disk.

However I am quite savy with these and have a Full version of acronis Tru Image, I was wondering if i just stuck the Rls 4.0 Hard disk from a BCM 200 I had, it would reset as if it were a replacement i.e Reinitialise and i just load the key code and off i go.

so tried that but it doesn't boot just says loading kernal then stops....

is there anyway to reuse the hard disks from other BCM's? or just delete a config file or something so it's like a blank/new un-initialised Rls 4.0?

Thanks in advance

I also responded to this on the Norstar forum.

I had a BCM200 recently with R3.7 software that wouldn't boot with a new R4.0 hard drive. Apparently there's some changes made to the BIOS during the upgrade process because R3.7 is Windows NT and R4.0 is Linux. When I ran the upgrade program from the CD's it worked fine, but it took about 1.5 hours to complete. I think this is the issue you're having because I remember mine hanging at "loading kernel" as well.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Thanks Brian, i couldn't work out how to delete the thread from the Norstar page, realised i put it in the wrong place!

The only problem is to run the upgrade from the CD's it has to be a minimum of Rls 3.5/7, it is currently Rls 2.5

I don't know how to get from 2.5 to 3.5

Shall I have a play around in the BIOS?

Maybe you can put a R3.6 or R3.7 hard drive in and then try the upgrade.

As far as tweaking the BIOS, I'd say as long as you are sure you can put it back the way it is there would be nothing to lose by trying to make the needed changes. I seem to remember a thread that mentions making changes to the BIOS when upgrading to R4. Try doing a search in this forum and you should be able to find it.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

thanks Brian,
good idea however i don't have an R3.6 or 7 to hand is there a way of downloading the Master Image files and re-imaging the drive?

i've got Acronis Tru image but would need to get hold of somewhere the Rls disk images?

Phil

I believe that you contacted me yesterday via my link. I had a BCM 1000 running 4.0, but my system was upgraded from 3.7, although I seem to recall that the upgrade process failed and that I had to rebuild it from day one using a 4.0 image that was sent to me.

Although this was probably done around 10 years ago, something I think I needed to do was to add in extra memory for the BCM 1000 system when I upgraded it to 4.0.

I can't remember if I had to double the size to 512 Megs?. I thought I had to add in another Mamory card in order for Linux to run.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I seem to recall there was a BIOS update file for this scenario..

"Software Update Name: BCM.R400.nnn-BIOS

Applicable H/W Platforms: BCM200, BCM400, SRG200 1.5, SRG400 1.5

Applicable S/W Platforms: BCM 4.0, SRG 1.5 based on BCM 4.0

Category: GEN

Installation Recommendations:
This BIOS should be installed on a BCM 200/400 or SRG 1.5 which has been upgraded from an
earlier release to BCM 4.0 via a hard drive replacement. The installation is done with a
bootable CD containing the BIOS. The iso file in this update must be burned to the CD as a
bootable image."

seems its only for 200/400 :(

If its not broke tweak it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back