Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Audio is cutting in an out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

like2edit

Technical User
May 8, 2003
US
All of the sudden a weird problem started where all audio on Premiere cuts in and out rapidly as it plays.

Any suggestions on what's wrong? This happened out of nowhere.

At the same time something weird just started happening with all video I play outside of Premiere (in realplayer, WMP)- as soon the video starts it stops for a second, then continues, but there's no audio issues.

I've never seen anything like this and I'm wondering if these issues are related.

I'd wonder if they are related as well.

Any other symptoms on your computer outside video?

First things first - if you've got any important data (such as your video files) that are not backed up from the PC, I'd go ahead and do that pronto.

Next, You could check for any known system problems shown under computer management - Right-click on My Computer, Select Manage, then select Reports, and look for System or Windows - System. Look for anything that has an exclamation mark, or anything that has happened frequently since about the time your problem began.

Also, have you had any recent updates to your computer - hardware, software? Examples are driver updates, Windows updates, Adobe updates? A new sound card, graphics card, RAM upgrade, new hard drive, or SSD instead of hard drive?

If it's happening with files with which it did not happen before, same software and hardware as before, then it sounds more like a system issue - hardware or software is yet to be determined.

Once you get your data backed up, you could take it to a PC professional to check out if you want to go that route. Or if you want to do some yourself, you could download something like the UltimateBootCD, and run some various scans from there. I'd first check the RAM and the hard drive if it were me.... or you could run a whole system scan that just runs quick scans of everything. If you need something to burn the CD image of UltimateBootCD, try ImgBurn which can be downloaded from Also, depending upon your computer, you may have built-in diagnostics. I know Dell and Toshiba do, and I believe HP does as well.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

thanks for the good advice.

I recently started using an app called Total Recorder which records streaming video with audio. So I went back and messed around with the audio recording settings in that app, and now the audio problem is gone in Premiere, and the other video problems are also gone. Seems like there was some kind of weird interaction between Total Recorder and the other apps.

Glad to hear. I don't suppose no remembered what settings you had to change? It'd be good info to keep around. I know what you mean about having to change many various settings. I've noticed this ESPECIALLY in the area of audio and video. The slightest changes that even seem insignificant end up making the biggest difference in the end.

--

I had the Total Recorder video compression setting on "DivX" and I changed it to "Xvid MPEG-4 Codec" and after that things were back to normal.

Yeah, codecs can be lots of FUN! ;p

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back