Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help asap connecting line 1 back on a 66 block 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berrios

Technical User
Jan 18, 2011
US
I'm in a service call that wanted their fax line working. In the process I accidently disco their line 1 which all incoming call comes in. How do I connect it back on the 66 block. They have a four port motorola cable modem all ports is tied to cat 5 cable. Any help is appreciated thanks.

is it a cross connect cable or a pair of the cat 5 cable? should just need to reconnect to the 66 block where it came off.

you're an electrician trying to do phone work, aren't you.

They have a four port motorola cable modem all ports is tied to cat 5 cable"

If I'm understanding you correctly there is a cat5 cable coming out of the cable modem with 4 telephone lines on it. The other end of this cable is punched down to a 66 block.

Is the cat5 cable a patchcord with one end cut off? If so then the likely problem is that someone used stranded wire on an IDC type connector. While this may work initially the strands tend to move and the connection will fail.

To make a proper connection to a 66 block you need solid wire and a punchdown tool.
Most likely this is how the lines are laid out:

line 1 - blue (pair)
line 2 - orange
line 3 - green
line 4 - brown

Ok I just found the line one pair, the cat 5 goes from the modem straight to the block. Now I need to term the line correctly. There some markings on the block that reads in order co2, co1, co3 then the right side has from order la1, la2, la3, la4.

Is it stranded wire?

Likely: co1 = line 1 and so on...

Is this a phone system or just a bunch of extensions?

There cat3 cables coming from the right side of the 66 block to I believe the nid. Is a phone system with ext the system is a toshiba strata there a 25 pair line from the system to the left side of the block.

In general the signal goes from left to right on a 66 block. So the output of the Strata box will go to the left side of a 66 block and be jumpered with clips to either an extension or crossconnect wires to the left side of a 66 block of extensions.

Therefore the inputs to the Strata box likely are connected to the right side of a 66 block (usually to left of the output 66 blocks). In many cases this 66 is a surge suppression block. The left side of this block is where you need to connect the incoming lines.

A NID (Network Interface Device) block is usually a telephone company device. Since it appears that you are using cable for telephone service this NID is likely unused.

We have wandered very far from your original question without sufficient explanation for what you are trying to do. What happened to "I accidently disco their line 1"? I would appreciate answers to my previous questions and a more accurate description of what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm on my iPhone I try my best to explain thx for helping out. The cust have phone service to line 2 n 3 but not 1 I'm trying to get line 1 active so they could use it. I'm trying to find the right spot for the line 1 I toned out from the modem I try putting it into each empty port but line one don't have no dial tone. Do I need to cross connect to line one?

Do you have a buttset?

Is this cable telephone service?

Do you have dial tone on all three lines leaving the Motorola cable modem?

Is the cat5 cable from the Motorola cable modem a stranded conductor patchcord with one end cut off?

Do you have a punchdown tool with a 66 blade?

you're an electrician trying to do phone work, aren't you."
"may the lowest bidder win..."

Likely.

It seemed like a simple request from a fellow wiresman in need. I'm not entirely sure what it turned into...

Hope the O.P. got it figured out - they were only posting for 2.5 hours on day one which was now two days ago. With only 3 or 4 lines from the cable modem, and what I would ASSume is a small Strata with 4 CO's it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Unless the installer did something strange, CO1 should be right next to CO2 on the 25 pair cable to the Strata. (25 pair tells me that the installer used some sort of combo cable to bring both the station ports and CO's out to a single 66 block - the one I used to work with had individual phone cords coming out to standard RJ11 jacks, but I forget whether the standard ones put the CO's at the top or after the station pairs; at any rate, they should be sequential)

Wires" you posted 5 times on this thread in one day did you take the day off.
Who cares if he is a electrician he posted his thread for advice from the experts! Most likely he is a programmer and they don't know to much about terminating or pulling wires!

I found this link it might help you

Cheapdan, Interesting first post. Sometimes the posts can be fairly interactive here, but usually not. I replied 3 times in an hour while Berrios was trying to sort out his problem. The I had to leave.

While I hope Berrios got the phone back up but there is a part of me that wishes the business where he was working had called a telecom professional in the first place.

not so sure about a telecom professional needed. even my ten year old son knows how to use a tone-set, a punch down tool and a length of cross-wire.

Wow, PBXTech, then if your 10-year old can do it, the electrician ought to be able to do the same work LOL

I sense a GEICO commercial here. Can an electrician do telephone wiring? Can a 4th grader use a punch down tool?

LkEErie

Both of my sons wanted to learn my job when I took them into a Home Depot when I was installing the phone system when I worked for Avaya. They thought it was cool that I could figure out all those wires with the mix of colors. So I taught them basic telephony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back