Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help ArcServe keeps getting stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptmgt

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2001
GB
Hi

We have Exchange Server 5.5 and ArcServe 6.5, we have not had a backup for weeks now!

What happens is, it gets to 99% and it just sits there and does nothing, so every night I stop it and restart the server and the same thing always happens.

The bit it is backing up at 99% is the mailboxes, and at the time of this starting we were getting email viruses so we purchased a virus killer for exchange that I thought would fix the problem by deleting these bad files, it deleted them but it is still the same.

thanks for your time

We had the same problem and CA gave us a solution. If it's stopping on the same mailbox, then something about the mailbox is corrupt. You should probably try to recreate the mailbox, although when you copy the contents back, it may return the corruption.

If this isn't possible or doesn't work, you have to exclude the mailbox from the backup.

I know this defeats the purpose, but the mailbox is backed up with the information store if you are doing a full information store backup. This answer came from CA and is one of the reasons we are probably moving to another product. We have a number of excluded mailboxes at this time.

I've had some exchange backups hang periodically in different places and usually stopping and restarting the backup agent will help.

Hope this helps.

I think the key word here was the anti virus for exchange.

If all was working fine before the antivirus, try disabling it and see if it works again. If it does work then you will have to have a look at the work around which can be found at
good luck, and the antivirus clash is a common issue with MAPI based apps, the exchange agent uses MAPI to backup the mailboxes. Antivirus uses API.

guru

I had this intermittently - found that I could stop it happening by delaying the start of the "Prune database" job - the Exchange backup was running beyond the time when the DB pruning was due to start. We also have antivirus software for Exchange running.

I spoke too soon - it came back, so I excluded the mailbox it was stuck on and so far it's worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back