Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!!!!! ArcServe Disaster Recovery Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbjleung

MIS
Sep 19, 2002
HK
The Server Side :
Windows 2000 Server (SP2)
Arcserve Advanced Edition (SP4) (Build 1100)
Disaster Recovery Option (SP4) (Build 650)

Client Side :
Windows 2000 Server (SP2)
Universal Client Agent (Build 1017)

I did it according to the official procedures.
After full backup, create a CD ROM and a Machine Specific diskette

Then boot up the client pc, in the DR Screen (a picture with DR bmp) :
After first reboot : Prompt to insert machine specific diskette, then required to reboot
After second reboot : Prompt to ask whether to install another network card driver, the network driver found automatically is correct, I tried both yes or no (if I choose yes, prompt to select the driver, something like to install driver in windows environment), then required to reboot again
After third reboot : The DR Screen appear, after few seconds, the machine reboot automatically, then again reboot automatically, until ......... I don't know when it will stop and perform the next task

What's the problem in the procedures ? or something I missed to do ?

I tried to use the other client machine and server machine, but the same symtom still occurred.

Thanks indeed.
lbjleung

Are you running RAID on the server you are trying to recover? If so, you have to setup the partitions like they were before. And make sure that your OS partition is either the NTFS or FAT (just like it was during your full backup). We attempted a recovery and we had to guess, we guessed NTFS when it was FAT. And during the process, the machine kept rebooting.

I haven't successfully did a w2k yet. Just haven't had time to play anymore. I'm thinking there are several reboots during the process.

Good luck,
DJ

One thing I see wrong is that while you updated the base product and the DR option to SP4 of ARCserve, you left the client agent at the base build. I know there were some changes to it with the service packs, but do not know the extent to which it will affect a Disaster Recovery. If you use fdisk to blow away the partitions of the hard disk, the machine specific floppy should bring back information on the original hard drive configuration. It may first format the drive as FAT, but during the recovery should reformat to NTFS. Sounds like you are in a reboot cycle. I would try booting of a '98 floppy to blow away the current partitions and start the DR process over. Hopefully the older client agent will not be a problem.

Hey, Guys

I too am having this problem. I am currently running Arcserve 2000, and created the machine specific disks. I am stuck in the endless loop of rebooting. I have tried everything I could possible think of!! It doesn't work on an xp client, or a 2000 client. Without this ability I cannot go live with this new network. Any help will be greatly appreciative.

CaVleX

Dear All,

First, thanks so much, and appreciate your help.

I found the reason, it's a easy and always miss step, as fritz4000 said, update the client agent service pack to sp4.
I don't know the SP4 should be added to client agent also, I think that is added to server only, there has some misunderstanding or unclear description in the cai website.

By the way, this method maybe apply to my situation only, as you all know, there has many tricky things in supporting Arcserve.

I have another problem of Disaster Recovery for NT version now. I am trying to fix it.

CaVleX, try to update the client agent patch.

Thanks indeed.

Make sure that when you are backing the remote machine up that you are using "computer naming resolution" and not the specific IP adress. This what I was doing and all I got was reboot loops :)

CaVlex,

So you are aware:

Disaster Recovery of a Windows XP box is not supported in ARCserve 2000. ARCserve 9 states to have support for it but I have not tested at all yet. According to the documentation, you have to use the windows XP installation media and select ASR (Automatic System Recovery - I think). It appears that Microsoft is taking control over the recovery process.

Good Luck.

I too am having ARCSERVE2000 Issues with DRSP4.

My Arcserve server, DR option, and client are all running the latest SP4 builds.

During the DR recovery, after the partitions are created, and the system reboots of the DRTEMP folder, It starts loading drivers. SCSI and RAID drivers load fine.

This boot it finds an "Ethernet Controller" and asks if I want to add any additional drivers. Whether you say yes or no at this point is irrelevent. The server reboots and returns to the select a network adapter screen. The white title bar is now in WING DING fonts. If you have a driver disk, it must contain the txtsetup.oem file.

Network drivers that are Win2000 drivers may not have this file. If you cancel, an internal error will occur, reboot and return you to this point.

I have diabled my on-board NIC, and I still get the internal error.

Are there multiple NICs on the machine? If so, were any disabled from the beginning of the DR?

@fritz4000

i've had tests with BrightStor ARCserve Backup 9 and the Disaster Recovery on XP Professional and Windows.Net Server RC1. On both systems the DR - using the ASR-Feature - has been a pure pleasure compared to the usual DR procedure. All you need is a BrightStor-CD, a XP/.Net-CD and one floppy disk which contains the computer specific data and there you go:)

Did no tests with remote DR so far!

Cheers
saop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back