Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Apple Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfeet1980

Technical User
Feb 28, 2004
US
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this problem...but here goes. We need to share files that are too large for email between our office in Carmel, Ca (Comcast Cable Broadband) and our remote office (SBC Global).

Comcast does not provide ftp, web hosting or email support for our domain name, so we have to use Network Solutions. NS does not offer ftp.

So, Apple Store sales guy sold me Apple Remote Desktop. We had it shipped to our remote office. The sales guy said when we get it to call tech support and that they would walk us through the install/connectivity process.

It arrived yesterday, so we call tech support and this guy said that they can't help us and that we need to get a consultant in at each office to make this work. The only advise he offered, is that we need to call our respective ISP's to see if some UDP port is locked or open. Both of our ISP's said they don't lock that port but neither could confirm that it was open.

Do we just load the program at our remote office computer and get a consultant? Do we need to have the software shipped here to Carmel and load it on our computer and have a consultant come here? Do we need to send the software back because is was mis-represented to us and try one of the solutions offered in this thread?

Our set-up: Carmel office has 3 G4 computers with 1 on OS 10.2.8, connected via AppleShare and a hub. Remote office has 1 computer on OS 9.1, connected the same way. We want to transfer large (6 to 40 mbs) files back and forth between one computer here and one computer there (total two computers sharing files).

Frustrated.

As nice as the product is, you don't need Remote Desktop. You seem to be more in need of setting up an FTP server on one of your OSX computers. This is very easy in the Sharing Preference Panel. After you have FTP set to go on one of your OSX computers, go to your router* and allow FTP communication to go through it.

*You will need to buy a router, often as cheap as $50, to replace your hub.

For detailed explanation of FTP serving from your own computer, see help or apple.com. For detailed explanation of using a router, see the instructions that came with it.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

ARD needs to be installed on the host(s) AND the administrator(s) machine(s).

ARD should also run the same version. So, if you have a 9.1 machine and a 10.x machine, you should run a version of ARD that works in Classic in order for it to work on both machines.

There are ports that need to be accessible on each machine in order for ARD to operate. Change your firewall settings to allow this. Those should be found in the manual and online.

Other options (after rereading your post):

1. enable file sharing on your Macs.
2. enable the webserver on the machine to host files. Then browse the computer.
3. enable ftp access on the machines.

This way you can return the software because it doesn't appear that you really need ARD for file transfer.

CCNA student

Thanks for your help guys...I opted for .mac because I'm not sure if I could pull off setting things up the way you described. As a foot note, I just tried to get Apple to take back the Apple Remote Desktop (because it was misrepresented to me), but they said since it's been more than 90 days, no can do. Anyone wanna buy it from me?

jim@ranchadvertising.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back