Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Adobe Acrobat is acting wierd!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chambers

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2001
US
Ok, here's the situation.

MFXPa FR3 - Win2000 SP3 - Adobe Acrobat Pro 6.0 eith updates

I log in locally as admin and my test user. I go into a program we use called Dynatek MORVision...set printer as "PDF Printer"...hit print, save the pdf to a network drive...no issues

I stay logged in as an Admin (Cause adobe needs it) go to a workstation. Log in to my published desktop and do the same thing...PDF Printer hangs and eventually times out

I go to the server, see the distiller icon in the systray, click it, notepad opens and it says "The system can not find the file specified" What the heck?? Click ok, exit notepad...saame error...exit notepad again, it exits. What the heck is going on? Reinstalled Acrobat 3 times already. I have three other servers that Acrobat 6.0 works fine on.

Does anyone know where Adobe Printer Stores the temp files? Myabe the user can't access that folder to create a pdf? But wait...logging in as admin through citrix would prove' that theory wrong..same issue though. Can anyone PLEASE help??

No one has had this issue??

I need some major help here please! Another pdf suite isn't an option

I haven't had the issue, but then I only have one site that runs the full version.
Have you tried it without the updates ?

The other three servers are they 2003 or 2000 ?

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Hi,

Maybe here:
c:\documents and settings\yourusername\local settings\temp and delete all temp files there

Then logon and check what is written to here...

If this is not helped: Maybe use filemon.exe and regmon.exe from nt4tools.com or something.

Is the installation was successful?

Cheers B,

Well, I uninstalled Acrobat and reinstalled with no updates. Same problem.

However, I did get a bit further, it looks like it may be a permissions issue? I can save fine to my TS desktop...HOWEVER, when I try saving it to my userdrive (networked U drive) I get the error. Any ideas guys? my other three servers are exactly the same as this one and they work fine. Have I forgotten a permissions entry on the server? What the heck!! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

I will try using the filemon tools to see what's going on.

I have run into a very similar issue with a custom app that uses the FoxPro runtime files. I have tried Adobe versions 4, 5, 5.05 and 6. Version 5 is our "standard" so I am tring to get that one to work. I print to the PDFWriter, and can print one report successfully, if I try to print a second one, I get an error message that says, "There was an error printing the Document 'Visual FoxPro' to O:\Notesold\11926.DUM Do you want to retry or cancel." After hitting cancel I get a message that says, "File o:\notesold\dcerr.dbf doesn't exist". Then the app closes

I have run filemon and regmon while reproducing the error and didn't find anything relevant. I also have no problems printing as an administrator. And I can use another PDF writer, pdfFactory, successfully.

After reading your post, I tried to print while using my "user" account logged onto the server locally and was able to without issue. I was also able to print successfully from my Citrix session as "user" while "user" was still logged onto the server locally. Once I logged "user" out of the server locally, the errors occurred again.

I hope this added information will help find a solution. I will continue to work on this and will post any new information (hopefully a solution) I figure out. I hope you will do the same.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi,

I thought that the PDF writer needed to get the document from a local drive and not a networked one?

If the above is true, you could create a directory called "Users" on the non-system partition and then create your users as they log on, then subst a drive for them to place and store the files onto. That could be done by login script or the usrlogon.cmd script. Then when they are done, copy or move them to a network drive.

Just an idea!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back