Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help accessing Web Site & not its Directory structure!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrry

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I've just been assigned a task to set up a web server on a Windows 2000 server running IIS v.5.0 and FrontPage Extensions 2002, which I know not a thing about, except what I've read on your previous threads and at Microsoft. My background is in networking and admin functions. Absolutely no Web exper.

Here's my problem: When I type in the URL (or hostname or even the IP) of the server I get back a listing (directory stucture format)of the contents of the web and not an actual webpage (ie. home.html or default). What's up with that?

These are the things I troubleshooted: DNS, WINS & IP are all setup correctly, Web server service is running. From within IIS Management console it appears the website administration, accounts, roles, server extenstions and such are correct. What am I missing? It's got to be something simple.

Help or encouragement from anyone will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mary W.

From the IIS management console, right click on your site and choose properties, under the Home Directory tab uncheck directory browsing. Now under the Documents tab, Default Documents should be enabled, now either add the page you want to start as the default or name your start page default.htm or .asp.

epohl - That was it! Thanks a bunch! I guess I'd better do some more reading on all of this. Thanks again for the help!
-Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back