Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help about installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdam

Programmer
Oct 28, 2001
AR
I've bought VFP 9.0 and noticed unfortunaly that from 7.0 the installation wizard doesn't exist. At its place comes "Installshield" that is "lovely" but the version is not full. Apparently the business is we have to buy the full version.
Surely (excuse my English) someone has experimented the same problem. Anyone might help me to know exactly what I have to do to get the same result I had with 6.0 using Installshield?

In my PC the installation I designed with Installshield works very well but in my PC I have all the resources of VFP 9.0. When I tried to install in another PC the same installation nothing is shown... I had to install a 6.0 version so my friendly costumer ignore this "domestical" problem.

Anyone can help me?

Thank you

Héctor

Hello Héctor,

It's true that the version of InstallShield that comes with VFP is a limited version, but it is usually good enough for most situations. There's no need to buy the full version unless you have a special reason to do so.

To learn how to use InstallShield, look for an article entitled "Walkthrough: Creating a Visual FoxPro Application Setup Program Using InstallShield Express", which is on the MSDN web site.

I know it looks a lot more complicated than the old Setup Wizard, but it is not all that difficult once you have tried it.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Hi Héctor.

Another possibility is to try Inno Setup. It is a much better installer than InstallShield in my opinion and it is free. Rick Borup has written a couple of articles on how to use it to install VFP applications, available at
Doug

Mike:

Thank you. I've learned a little about Installshield and I installed a trial version in another computer to see what happens.

The first time I mentioned in my original post nothing happened (the screen blinked and I couldn't see any window or message)but the second time I tried after your advice an error appeared!!! I was so happy an error appeared!
"missing MSVCR71.DLL"

I looked the component (Runtime C library or so) in the "distribuitable" is marked but is dark (shadowed - sombreado - in Spanish) too.

How can I know if such file will install in my costumer's PC? I searched the text "MSVCR71.DLL" and I found it inside the installations files but I'm not sure it will work because when I look into the "system" folder of the installation set none of the files are there is the one caused the problem.

I hope I don't abuse of your knowledgement

Thank you

there are some merge modules (msm files) coming with vfp and it's Installshield Express version. In the walkthrough Mike Lewis already recommended you see that in the paragraph "Selecting Objects and Merge Modules". When you select the "Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9 Runtime Libraries module" the C runtime and GDI plus should automatically be selected, msvcr71.dll is the C runtime DLL.

Bye, Olaf.

Well, Olaf. I suspected that's why the shadow. I'll see the next time I try to install my little program.

Thank you

Héctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back