Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - 800Mhz FSB running at 200Mhz on new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

sounique

Technical User
Apr 25, 2002
US
I just put together a new system with the following:

Giga-byte MB GA-8IPE1000-L (P4 3.0Ghz 800Mhz FSB
1 Gig of PC3200 400Mhz Dual Channel DDR (
The Bios shows 200mhz as well as the Easytune app that comes with the MB. My question is it safe to increase the system bus to 800Mhz? I upgraded from an PIII 866Mhz so this is all new to me.

If it feels faster than your P111, then it may be correct; 800FSB is 200FSB quad-pumped (multiplied internally). What does System Properties and the Bios screen say the speed of the P4 is?

Andy.

System properties says 3Ghz and Bios says 3Ghz as well. It's a lot faster than the PIII 866 no doubt, but my question does it multiply the bus speed internally or can I adjust it in the Bios up to 800mhz, currently showing 200mhz.

No, the setting is already correct. With Intel P4 CPU's, the FSB is actually sending twice as much data on the upside as well as twice as much on the downside of each clock cycle - which makes it "quad-pumped" internally. Therefore, they "advertise" an 800MHz FSB making the assumption that it is transferring the same amount of data (same bandwidth).

In actuality, the FSB is still only running at 200MHz.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back