Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! 56K modem only connecting at ~4500 bps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaux

Technical User
Sep 16, 2001
US
My 56K modem will only connect at ~4500 bps. I have made sure the the maximum speed in the modem settings is 57,000 (or something like that, I don't remember the exact number.) I have tried reinstalling the modem. Can anybody help?

(Windows 98, U.S. robotics modem)

BTW, I seem to remember seeing some way to set the baud for each port, but now I don't remember where I saw it. Would this be the problem? Is there anything else I might try?

Most likely, you are limited by the phone line quality to slower speeds. Are you trying to dial an ISP, or another computer for networking purposes?

I would doubt that it has anything to do with your port settings. Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Yea, quite often will a modem connect at a lower speed than advertised, even ISDN (it says 64k and sometimes wouldn't connect faster than 56k)

Have you tried dialling another isp to test?

Let us know
Good luck

Tels

Windows 2000 Network Administrator for pint$ = 1 to 20
for pint$ = pint$ + 1
if pint$ = 20 goto HOME
next pint$

HI is it an External Modem? If that is the case, select COM1 or COM2 where the modem is installed, and set its "PORT SETTINGS" value to 115000. Many connect the External modem at 9600 BPS owing to their not setting this feature.

If it is an internal modem, you are installing a wrong driver. If you cannot find the correct driver, just try to know the result by configuring it as a standard modem with 115000 baud rate setting.

Hope this sorts out your problem :)
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Nothing unusual about this! Modems very rarely connect at a full 56k or should I say NEVER! in my experience.
The length of your connecting cable and or how many joints you have in your line can effect the speed.
But don't worry, none of us get 56!!!! Martin

Nothing Unusual!?
How many time have you seen a 56K modem connect at less than 10000 bps?

Beaux

I agree.....but I certainly have seen it all..

I think Ramani gave you good advice

I won't say that Ramani gave you bad info but I would look to the phone line too. I was having similar problems an ran a new cable through the window to the POP on the side of my house for testing (just use the same posts you all the rest of your lines are connected to). Instantly I jumped from about 10000bps to a blazing 26000bps (normal for my area).

I sure am glad broadband showed up in my area!

Good luck!

AlphaGuy

Poor line quality is a major reason for low speed connections or drop outs. Every additional extension cable and adaptor connected to the Master socket attenuates the signals on the line. This gets considerably worse with ageing components and damp conditions inside and around connectors. Connect a telephone handset to the socket where you normally connect your modem. "Half dial" a number, i.e. don't dial all the digits, and listen very carefully to the earpiece. If you can hear any noise on the line, crackles, pops etc., then you have a noisy line which needs the attention of your telco.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

If your with bt ask customer service to turn the gain up on your phone line.They changed mine from 3 to 5 and now my 33.6 modem conects at 56000 all day long

Just to correct Tels, ISDN cannot connect at a lower speed!

With an analogue modem, when it connects to the remote modem it, they will "handshake" and negotiate a connection speed. This connection speed will take into account the quality of the local loop and the configuration of the modems (drivers etc..), so you will often see modems connect at various speeds. My 56K modem will normally connect at about 45,333kpbs but often drops to 45,000kbps (sometimes lower!!). 56K modems will rarely connect at 56K!!

On the other hand, ISDN works differently. If you have a 64K ISDN line, it will either connect at 64K or not at all!! It's doesn't go through the same "speed negotiation" as an analogue modem! You will dial through your local exchange and phone system and into a router at the POP (Point of Presence) at your ISP. Your router or ISDN card will then get its clocking signal from the router (DCE) which will be n x 64K. It cannot connect any lower.

However, once your traffic leaves your ISP's POP and goes out onto the internet you are at mercy of the internet and it's bandwidth limitations. You still have a 64K connection via ISDN but it doesn't guarentee transfer rates from the internet! Your 64K ISDN is dedicated but once on the internet the available bandwidth on any link is contended! That is the nature of the internet.

Just wanted to clear that up!

Chris. ********************************
Chris Andrew, CCNA
Technical Support Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back