Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - 2GB Limit Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorbackHog

Programmer
Oct 28, 2000
US
I have just hit the 2GB limit on one of my main customer files. Now I can't open the table. Any ideas on how to get the table open so that I can get the data out?

Thanks.

You mean, it is now exactly 2 GB or VFP actually allowed file to grow bigger than that?

The next time around, I would split file either
horizontally or vertically long before it would approach the limit.

Now, try to create files of the same structure and do
APPEND FROM "C:\MyPath\MyFile.dbf" FOR myFilter
It might be able to copy parts of info this way.

If it cannot, you can probably try to open the file low-level and extract the info. Search VFP forums and FAQ for the header structure and ways to repare corrupted VFP files; same procedures can help you get the info out.

Explorer shows 1.99 GB or 2,146,058,240 bytes but none the less it gives a "not a table/DBF" error when using the table.

I hope to never experience a "next time" but I do have to get the data out of this table. I'll try the append from idea and see if that works although I suspect it won't.

Thanks.

You're basically at the "you are hosed" stage. Go to a backup and purge some data.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

I think you are right! Only thing is I would like to figure out a way to capture out those last transactions that are not on the backup. I don't know if there is a way to edit the header record or make any other changes so that it could be read temporarily just to access todays records??

Maybe try opening the DBF file in a text editor like Ultra Edit and removing a block of data at the front of the file to reduce its size enough to extract your data at the end. I have opened files that size & larger in Ultra Edit, it just takes a few minutes.

Good Luck.
-Mike

Some time ago, I wrote a DOS program that reads a dbf and outputs a space delimited text file. You could then modify it an import it into a new dbf.

If you would give me your email address, I can send you the EXE.

Tony

Thanks, but I have now found a solution for my problem, see commercial below. :)

*Commercial begins

I purchased a copy of RECOVER from Abri Technologies and it solved my problem. Backed up the file so that it was just under the 2GB limit and allowed me to read the file. Worked great and was well worth the $70 to get past this problem and get my users back up. Solved my problem in 14.81 seconds whereas it would have taken me several more hours of work to get this issue solved.

*Commercial over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back