Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help, 2 folders with my web site on server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1200Bandit

Technical User
Oct 26, 2003
US
I am a little confused, I am looking at the files on my host server (linux) for my site. It seems to contain 2 folders that contain "mirrors" of my website folders, pages, cgi bin, images, ect....

One is called: public_html\(contains index.html)

the other: same index.html)

I am at a loss to figure out which folder is the one used when people enter my site, and why does the other exsist Do I need both, or is it a mistake? Both sub folders seem(?) to contain the same folder/files, folder/folder/files, ect.
I inherited this site, and I need to upload my new files to upgrade it.

Thank you for your time!

Thank you for your coments.

I did that 4 days ago, and no reply yet Ipowerweb.com.

I asked here, and got a response in 40 min!

any other takers?

It's possible in unix (which linux is a flavour of) to set up a "link" between two file (or directory) names such that each references the same object. My guess is that your hosts (for reasons best known to themselves) have set up a link between " and your public_html directory (or vice versa) - so it isn't a case of having two copies of the directory, just having two names for the same directory. You can test this by creating a file in "public_html", if it also appears in " it implies that you're looking at a link (for conclusive proof, you need to do an [tt]ls -l[/tt] command on their parent directory, but you may not have access to do this).

As to why, my guess is that your hosts changed their web server settings to look in "public_html" for your web root instead of " (or vice versa) and set the links up so the move would be seamless. They just haven't got rid of the old names. Like Wullie says, they should be better at communicating with their customers. Take a look at their web site - there may be some "customer announcements" page tucked away that tells you what's going on.

-- Chris Hunt

I found out what was going on.
It seems that the past Web Master(?) was useing front page to edit/post site contents. Front Page creates this (mirror) file as kind of a generic way to make different servers happy. Some servers deliver the content to the web from the others from the public_html folder. In my case (Linux) the content is delivered from the public_html (so check with your tech support).
The problem with this generic set up is that it doubles the sites disk usage!
Well done Bill!

My ears perked up when this person mentioned ipowerweb because I have just moved my domain to that service.

I have already discovered something that may help this person. When dealing with ipowerweb, DO NOT go to their website and post a request for help there even though there is a place where you can do it. Instead email the request to support@ipowerweb.com or call them. When I called them, the support person told me that the website isn't a reliable method. He told me to always email.

Requests for help via email are quickly answered.

Sharon

You upload your files to the public_html directory. The is aliased (linked) to the public_html directory. I have seen it on several servers using Redhat linux and apache, and seems to be very common. I still am not sure of the reason why this is done.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back