Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello
I have one little question:
I have SMS 2.0 on NT4
It have SP1 only.
Can i upgrade it to SP3
or first to SP2 and then SP3
Must i upgrade to W2k or not?

Thank you

You can upgrade directly to SMS SP3 (You don't have to apply SP2 first.)

You don't have to have Windows 2000 to use SP3. NT 4.0 works with SP3. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Thank Joseph
Maybe i am no so wise
but why i found this in release notes
System Requirements
SMS 2.0 SP2 Must Be Installed on Your Primary Site Prior to SP3 Upgrade
SMS 2.0 SP3 only supports upgrading primary site servers from SMS 2.0 SP2.
SMS 2.0 SP3 Setup supports the following:
„h A primary site upgrade from an existing SMS 2.0 SP2 primary site only.
„h A secondary site upgrade from an existing SMS 2.0 SP2 secondary site only.
„h An SMS Administrator console upgrade from an existing SMS 2.0 SP2 Administrator console only.
„h Removing SMS 2.0 SP3.
„h Modifying or resetting an SMS 2.0 SP3 site.
„h Modifying an SMS 2.0 SP3 Administrator console.
SMS 2.0 SP3 Setup does not allow:
„h A primary site installation, without an existing SMS 2.0 SP2 primary site. SMS 2.0 SP3 primary sites must be upgraded from SMS 2.0 SP2.
„h Adding optional components to an SMS 2.0 SP2 site or an SMS Administrator console.

I affraid that this SP3 can will kill may NT4

What you think?

Thank

Gee..I could have sworn I upgraded our SMS environment from SP1 to SP3 directly (working with MS support during the upgrade process.) However, I can not say I am positive..this was more than a year ago. Maybe our fresh SMs install was SP2 to begin with.

I suggest that you upgrade your site to SP2 first as suggested from the readme. Your better off not to take any chances. As I remember it, the Service Pack upgrade was fairly simple to install (similar to service packing a Windows NT server OS). Just make sure that you have a good backup of your system. I remember spending a few days in the lab practicing the upgrade before rolling it out on production servers. (The client will update themselves automatically.)

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

You have to apply SP2 before going to SP3. According to the readme's from Microsoft.

Hi
I recently completely rebuilt our site SMS server, and I remember being prompted that SP2 was required when I tried to jump to SP3. There may be a work around though.

No, I would say that my memory is not working...

I apologize for my original post saying that it was possible. I am clearly wrong on this. Please upgrade to SP2 and then SP3 in two steps.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Incidentally, I am currently running with NT4 SP6, so I wouldn't worry about upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back