Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello World Web Service problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbrechler

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
Not sure I'm even in the right forum here, so apologies if I'm wrong, and thanks if you'll point me in the right direction...

I am trying to run the included "hello world" service, and it's not working. I have several issues:

1. Is an "ASP.NET Web Service" any different than a regular "Web Service"? If so, I can't even see anything that is a "Web Service" -- only "ASP.NET Web Service"s.

2. When I try to &quot;View in Browser&quot; on the .asmx file, the browser doesn't know what to do with it, so it gives you the option to Save (even from my local machine), or Open the file. Save opens a standard download, save as windows, while Open opens a screen that shows the line &quot;<%@ Webservice Language=&quot;VB&quot; codebehind=&quot;Service1.asmx.vb&quot; class=&quot;Webservice2.Service1&quot; %>&quot; and nothing else.

I can't see the WSDL, so I have no way to test the service.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
~Lindsay

P.S. I'm running XP, .NET (with the COMPACT Framework) and Smart Device Extensions. I have also tried the Hello World in both VB and C#.

IE6.0?, IIS?? (Both required)

Jordi Reineman

IE6.0 - yes
IIS - yes, v5.1? (or maybe that's just the snap-in version)

A bit more about the problem:

It builds Hello World just fine, but when I try to debug, I get a message that says: &quot;Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The server does not support debugging of ASP.NET or ATL Server applications. Run setup to install the Visual Studio .NET server components. If setup has been run verify that a valid URL has been specified.&quot;

I have installed ALL the components, so I can't believe that I'm missing anything, but I have ALSO installed the Compact framework (which is described by Microsoft as &quot;a subset of the framework&quot;). That wouldn't be causing me problems, would it?

Thanks,
~Lindsay

figured it out --- had to register aspnet_isapi.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back