Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello SCO Community, I'm currently

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCOest

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
Hello SCO Community, I'm currently in a project where I am networking 7 machines mostly Windows in a simple workgroup enviroment. The server is running SCO 5.5 and I wanted to ask for any links or refrences that would help me in getting the server on the network flawlessly. I have a small amount of experience with Linux so technical talk isn't really a problem. All i really need to know is how DHCP from a router is handled in SCO and sharing of files and security. Plus anything else that you all think would be useful in such a situation. Thanks

jcoest@hoflink.com

netconfig will help you configure the network.

visionfs came with the product and is a SAMBA-like product you can use for SMB or CIFS services.

SAMBA is available if prefer it to visionfs.

netconfig is builtin? is visionfs open sourced, or should i just go for SAMBA to keep prices down? Any good refrences for getting SAMBA on SCO?

netconfig is built in but can also be accessed from scoadmin networks. I thought VisionFS shipped with SCO, nonetheless, I find Samba a more reliable and functional file sharing tool. As for getting Samba on SCO - go to samba.org and read about making samba.
Basically you will need to compile the source code - it does give instructions in the FAQ.
[bigcheeks]

Thanks! I might go with apache since I've worked with it on linux a little.

The SCO box that I'll be working with has been running for a while now. what are the commands for checking if apache and visionfs are already installed and/or running. And i'm guessing I'm going to have to re familirize myself with config'ing samba without a GUI.

thanks again

are there any problems with 3com nics running on SCO OpenServer 5.5 . NIC version 3c905b

thx

dlpid: unable to open network adapter driver (dev/mdi/e3H0)

any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back