Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello. I'm writing to find out i

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjwilldohisbest

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
Hello.

I'm writing to find out if it is possible to force an eject from an Iomega zip-cdrw instead of rebooting to remove a disk? When I first bought this unit things worked rather smoothly, then after about three weeks everything went downhill. Sometimes the drive unit will not read a disk, to even freezing up the computer. At one point I had to rename an iosubsystem file to the .old extension because of the drive unit had been interfering with the standard CD ROM drive in my Compaq system that prevented me from installing new programs through the standard CD ROM or even playing regular audio CD's, throwing BSO/D and fatal exceptions. It can happen to anyone from any company
When the drive works, it works fine. I haven't had any under-runs or damaged CD's. If anyone would have more information on these types of drives and possible remedies that would be great.

I have been to the companies site and there are many other people in just about the same boat, some not very happy. I do not know if it is a hardware or a software issue? I have upgraded just about all the updates I could possibly imagine. I do believe for any problem there is a solution somewhere. It can happen to anybody from any company.

Thank you all for your time in reading this letter.

Robert D. :-V

If i am understanding you correctly you want to be able to eject the CD when the drive stops responding in the middle of a job. Most CD/Zip drives have a force eject hole right in the front of the drive. I would use a paper clip or something like that. Push into the hole and it should eject the media. This will work even if the system is turned off.

Hope this helps

I have a similar issue with a zip 100 MB disk. It would appear that under NT the disk writes are not written to the disk ASAP (i.e., a lazy write method to free up the CPU and disk for other tasks). When I remove a disk without using the eject feature in the IOMEGA software (right click on the drive from explorer or My Computer and select eject), the file system of the next disk is corrupted.

What a pain :-(

What operating system are you using?

I often have to open explorer, select a directory or drive at random, then refresh the window before trying to eject the disks through software. Windoze has not finished writing to the disk. It doesn't appear to matter whether I've used the disk at all, only whether I have inserted it into the drive.

Don't know if this will be of any help, I wish someone could tell me how to force the drive to commit writes ASAP rather than caching them.

My $0.02

Frak

Hi.

I have found out that the cd wizard has to constantly be on to eject a disk, even if it's a regular data cd and has been finalised. So far this trick seems to be working. The hole for emergancy eject doesn't work, all it does is make the led on the console turn red, then back to green, even when the cd isn't spinning. This drive is weird.

I have win98 on a compaq 5822.

Wow, this is an oldie post. I didn't know anyone responded, lol.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back