Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, I have become rather stuc

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb3rsil

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hello,

I have become rather stuck with a group policy problem in w2k. To quickly summarise the situation :-

I manage a school network that has 6 different computer areas. Each area has their own printer.

To prevent work from students being printed in the wrong place, I require that only the machines in the specific areas can print to the area specific printer.

Therefore my theory was to make 6 OU's in active directory and put the computer objects in them. Then apply a specific group policy that in computer setting specifies a login script that sets up the specific printer for that OU.

I tried this specifying what batch files to run in a group policy attached to each area OU, however it just wont seem to work.

I also have seperate ou's for staff (with a staff policy objects applied to it) and students (with a student policy applied to it). Each of them obviously containing users. These policies are both working fine!

I am wondering whether there is any blocking or overriding that needs to be set or priorities, but I have looked and even tried taking the pupil policy off whilst still have one of the area policies attached with no luck.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank in advance for any help!

Amb3rsil

This should work.

You need to create 6 groups rather than OU's and link the computers to the group. Then in the startup scripts for the groups apply the batch file/script that relates to the printer mapping.

thanks for the tip, however I worked out the problem was! It appears that when you specify the login script in the group policy it must be in the specific directory to that policy, I thought I could just point it to a batch in a standard folder on the server!

thanks for your help though.

Kind Regards,

Amb3rsil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back