Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, I have a Windows 2000 Ser

Status
Not open for further replies.

soundguy

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
GB
Hello,

I have a Windows 2000 Server PDC, Windows 2000 Server FILE/Member server- XP Clients, Win98 Clients. I cannot get any of the Win98 clients to browse the Win2000 file server. The PDC is configured for DNS, and I have set the DNS settings in Win98 respectivly.

They can look at the PDC, and another NT server, but not this 2000 server.

Does anyine have any suggestions?

Thanks

We encountered a similar problem. Just to understand the issue better:

1) Can you pind the server from the 98 machine?
2) Is the 98 machice logging on to the domain successfully?

The work around that I came up with was to creat a Mapped drive on the 98 machines, give it a try.

Dave

Your Win98 clients will be using NetBIOS to try and resolve these server names, not DNS. You need to either configure a WINS server for your network and set this up in your clients IP settings or send out an LMHOSTS file to each client with the correct IP address and server name entries. WINS is the better option as it's dynamic. If there were any changes, the WINS server would take care of it whereas with LMHOSTS, if there were any changes, you'd need to resend out a new LMHOSTS file to all your clients.

Cheers, Antony

Hello,

I have installed Wins on the PDC Win 2000 server, and I can see the Win98 clients details.

I have configured the Win 98 clients to enable Wins on the correct server IP address, but they still cant access the Win2000 Member server. They can browse the contents of shares located on the PDC Win2000 but not this memebr server.

Im also having a similar problem with an NT workstation, when It tries to log on it cant find the PDC.

Thanks for you help in advance.

How are they trying to access these shares? Are you going through Network Neighborhood, going to Start > Run and typing the UNC path etc.? Also, are you using a DFS?

Hi Anthony,

Yes, they are going through Network Nighbourhood. We are not using DFS, what is it?

Hi Anthony,

Yes, they are going through Network Nighbourhood. We are not using DFS, what is it?

DFS stands for Distributed File System, it's a way of sharing data from many different servers under one global share making it easier for clients to find things.

As for the problem above, I'm a bit stuck without being able to look at it myself. Try going to Start > Run on a client and accessing the shares this way and also try daviboysmith's suggestion of mapping a drive.

It could be something up with Name resolution somewhere, check this site for loads of info on WINS and computer browser service:

Hope it helps,

Antony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back