Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello Friends, I have a dataware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anup99999

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2002
IN
Hello Friends,

I have a datawarehouse ready. It is having all the data. But when I run the query ....all the time it displays...Partial Results with that icon at the bottom. Can anyone let me know the possible reasons for this cause ?

Thanks and Regards,
Anup.

Hi Anup,

The problem u are facing is because of the default restriction applied in universe. Open the universe in designer and go to menu File->Parameters..
In the dialog box go to control tab. U will find the restriction option there. uncheck what u feel is appropriate. my default is no row restriction only time restriction. rest option i keep to BO defaults.

I definitely do not agree with no setting of a 'max rows returned' restriction. In most cases you want to urge users to create reports on the smallest data-sets possible to speed up formatting of the document (so use pre-aggregates if possible) Especially with clients with limited memory you don't want data-sets retrieved that will stall their hardware. The biggest facttable in one of my datamarts contains about 2 million rows, but a typical report uses a dataset of about 20.000 - 100.000 records at the most. There is no point in downloading the entire table if you work with aggregates and prompts........ T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Dear Friends,

I have tried all of the above but the report still gives partial data only.

Is it that one a new report is developed on the old one it might create this kind of problem ? Due to some internal datacube storage etc..???

Regards,
Anup.

Hi Anup,
I really id not understand what you have meant in your last message. anyway please answer the following

Please confirm whether u are getting the partial result message even after you refreshed the report after removing the row limit set in the universe.

Please also clarify the rows fetched by the SQL. To view this click on Menu Data->Data View. on the dialog box go to the Definition tab and below it shows the datetime the report was last refreshed and the rows it has fetched.

Also make sure one more thing. On the same dialog box go to the Results Tab and click the Options button. See if any radio box has been selected other than default value.

First let us solve your problem of this message later we can decide what is the best stragtegy to follow to reduce rows fetched and improve performance.

Subhash,

Thanks for showing great interest. Yes, the problem is solved now. The problem was withing the universe options where one of my colleague had not removed all the selections availabe in various check boxes.

Regards,
Anup.

Hi Anup,
I do not know what u mean by removing all checkmark. it is necessary to remove only the checkmark for option restriction no of rows.

Subhash,

Yes, you are right. The number of rows were limited. Now the problem is solved.

Is there any way to use oracle optimizer hints in SQL generated by BO to make querries work faster ?

Regards,

Anup.

Yes,

Open the universe in designer, choose parameters. Then choose to edit the connection used and select Custom. You can fill in the hint there.
I think that BO will not show the hint at report level, but it should work equally well.... T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back