Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello all, I found this forum to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eselhassan

Programmer
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hello all,

I found this forum to be very helpfull, so I'm back with more questions. I'm querying AS400 machine by linking it to SQL Server just fine.

I would like however, rather than getting the data display in the results pane of Query Analyzer I would like to automatically insert the data into an existing sql table. Can someone give me a hand on where to start?

I'm thinking to create a stored procedure that query the AS400 and update my sql table nightly.

My current query is a simple one:

SELECT * FROM OpenQuery(MyServer, 'SELECT field1, field2 FROM LIBRARY1/FILE1').

Thanks for all the help I can get.

IF you just want to replace the data then yea, you can make a stored proc to basically do:

INSERT INTO tablename
SELECT * FROM OpenQuery(MyServer, 'SELECT field1, field2 FROM LIBRARY1/FILE1')

If you want to do incremental updates and truncates, you'll want to learn how to create DTS packages... search for DTS in books online and enterprise manager.

I would like to execute an UPDATE statement rather than the INSERT statement. That way I can update my SQL table quickly as changes occur to the AS400 file. Thanks in advance.

I tried the DTS method, but I got to the point where I still have to build a query to transfer data.

I rather just do an update query now and work on my DTS short comings later. Thanks

So you want to update your SQL table with data from your AS400? Something like this:

Code:
UPDATE t1
SET col2 = t2.col2,
  col3 = t2.col3
FROM sql_table t1
  JOIN OPENQUERY(MyServer, 'SELECT idcol, col2, col3 FROM LIBRARY1/FILE1') t2
    ON t1.idcol = t2.idcol
WHERE t1.idcol = 123

Obviously you only need the WHERE clause if you want to update a certain row. If you want to update the entire table then leave it off.

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back