Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helkp me because my techer is putting pressure on me to do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElChuntiROP

Instructor
Nov 30, 2001
US
My Presario has two 75gig hard drives. Unfortunately, the boot drive contains 3 bad clusters. Chkdsk (thorough surface check),Norton's DD and Speeddisk freeze at the first bad cluster, make a rapid 'clicking' noise for about 30 seconds (similar to a problem from an earlier post), then restart themselves from the beginning. I recently upgraded to XP and am considering converting to NTFS (for reasons other than the bad clusters). Questions: Instead of using convert.exe to implement NTFS, will a low level format of the bad drive eliminate the bad clusters? Is the drive worth keeping, or should I look to replace it?

Make sure the bios settings are correct. Then try a low level format. Drives normally have a 3 yr warranty. COntact the mfg first then if no luck, this drive is probably worthless. Clicking is the sign of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back