Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heatsink/Fan combo on new P4 boxed cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r00tMonster

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
I just purchased a boxed P4 2.53Ghz chip and I noticed on the bottom of the heatsink is a 1 inch square piece of black foil. Its clued to the aluminum heatsink at the location where contact with the core would occur. Its only clued on 2 sides, so its kind of loose, not real secure on the heatsink which is why it would appear you remove it before applying the thermal paste? Should I remove this or no?

I have never seen this on a heatsink before and was wondering if it was something new? x::0:0::::

If you are planning to apply thermal paste definately remove it. Make sure it is thoroughly clean so that the thermal paste can do its job. Its a thermal pad that is easier to use but not as effective as a good paste like AS3.

I found some info on the web, it says that if you remove this 'thermal pad" you will void the 3 year warranty?

ummm you know if thats true???

Guess I better leave it on and not use thermal paste.... x::0:0::::

If you are going to leave it on make sure it is well attached and surfaces are clean.

Then again the AS3 does work, guess I have to decide:)

Thanks for your help.... x::0:0::::

The AS3 site gives detailed instructions to help you along. Best of Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back