Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

heating problem?? IE and task bar haywire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellsanto

MIS
Jul 17, 2007
US
I have a client that can run her PC for weeks, without having a serious problem. She logs into my SBS 2003 server every morning and logs off every night.

But, if for whatever reason, she has to reboot during the day, she can log in to the network but her task bar(XP) does not function. The pointer turns to the good ole hourglass, her quick launch shortcuts are gone, and the system tray does not load properly. Also, IE will not load any website, internal or external.

My initial thought was a heat/cooling problem. All fans are in running order.

Any ideas?

ellsanto

Did you try leaving it off for a few min to see if it was a heat problem?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Thanks for the reply, ace.

Yes, I left if off for an hour or two. Still the same issue.

New info:
I failed to notice the "DC not available" error in the event log. So the client was not logging in.

I changed the network cable and she is up and running fine. I am going to do some testing after hours to see if I can duplicated the error with the new cable. I doubt that it was just a faulty cat 5. You never know though...

I'll post my results later...

ellsanto

Maybe this is a network issue like only booting up as a workstation or a bad connection from a network cable.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I was able to duplicate the problem. After an afternoon of diagnostics, I just wiped the os and reinstalled.
Of course all is good now.

Since we use roaming profiles, I couldnt see wasting more time troubleshooting.

Thanks for the relpies, ceh and ace.

ellsanto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back