Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heating for Rack in Warehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk81596

Technical User
Sep 26, 2005
US
I am putting a data rack in one of our non heated warehouses. Does anyone have any recommendations for the network equipment when temps reach sub-zero? Any kind of small heater that we can put in there?

Until you reach absolute zero (-459.67 °F), I don't see why this would be a problem. Electronics tends to perform better when it's very cold. Magnetic tape, 35mm film and all kinds of other materials will also have their life extended when kept in cool environments.

Electric heaters can also be very taxing on your electric bill. Gas and quartz heaters present a fire hazard. I understand that working in these temperatures is a real bummer, but it's better than an explosive or caustic environment by a long shot. Can this room be separated or otherwise insulated from the cold source?

Kind of an interesting question. Most electronics units will self heat and "keep" itself warm to some extent. Too much temp is harmful. I had problems with equipment in a hospital when temps reached 92 deg F. If you do use an electric heater I would keep it small and monitor results.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Check your equipment's temperature tolerance, it will be in the literature or written on the device itself.

That's what really matters.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

My operating limits of my switch are 32 to 104 degrees F. I know you can probably give or take 20 degrees but its WI and can get sub zero. I have been looking for very small heaters all over and cannot find any. Any ideas

I've never had to deal with such cold, but would insulation be of any use? I don't know how much heat the devices kick out themselves, but with moderate insulation, it would most likely stay fairly warm.

My only concern would be condensation.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

My only concern would be condensation.

This would also be my main concern. The humidity could cause major problems. I would look into something that could dehumidify as well.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Could you try something as "simple" as building a "closet" with 2 doors (front & back) & a few pieces of drop-ceiling around the rack? This would help to keep some of the heat in during the cold - open the doors & pop the tiles during the warmer months to make sure the equipment doesn't get too warm.

You could consider one of the portable heater/air conditioning units. They run about $500, and can keep the temperature with the specified ranges, plus most will also dehumidify. Installation usually requires some sort of venting through a 3 inch flexible hose, similar to a clothes dryer and some have a seperate drain hose for moisture. I have used one in a small server room for years and have not had a problem. There are different sizes (BTU's)for different applications. Try searching "portable air conditioners".

John

CablingContracor,

My thoughts exactly. Get a thermostat designed for electric baseboard heat and set it to turn on the light bulbs when the temp drops below 40 near the top of the rack. If you determine the lights stay on all the time in freezing weather add a few more bulbs. In a small space ti won't take much.

Put testing the bulbs on the PM list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back