Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dead2self

ISP
Mar 22, 2003
US
Let me start by telling you what I have...

Processor: 1.2 AMD Athlon
Mother Board: Iwill ka266-r
Ram: 512mb DDR
Video: Geforce 4 4600 128mb ddr
Audio: Onboard c-media
Hd: 2 IBM Deskstars both 60gig 7200 rpm
Network: LNE100TX - EtherFast 10/100 LAN Card
Case: SOHO from compusa.

pics at incase you want to see.

It has 8 case fans total, that includes every fan in the case. (1 window blowing inward, 1 front sucking inward, 1 front sucking inward over hard drives, 2 at back blowing outward, HSF running at 5500rpm(very good hsf), 2 sucking out on powersupply, 1 blowing out under video card (pci slot fan).

I have a thermal meter on the drive bay (see pics). It reads 105-107f/41-3c while in idle and it jumps to 109-111f/42c in game play. It also freezes up quite often. I'm almost positive its something to do with air flow because if I open the case door it's fine, no freezing. I've tried switching fans around and different things and have gotten sick of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I forgot to mention on my hardware monitor program that came with the mobo the "VIN 3.3V Voltage" is at 3.02 and in the yellow. I thought this was caused by new memory I put in it so I refunded that and stuck with 512mb and I removed my sound card (sound blaster live x-gamer, heard alot of bad things about it) and that didn't work either. Think this might be the problem? If so whats the solution?

It is air flow.theres air blowing in the opposite direction to the cpu fan,which is putting pressure on it and slowing it down,hence overheating and freezing the computer.

It's a 1.2AMD.Why on earth do you think you need 8 fans?????

I have a 1600xp and only have 1 fan on the processor

the fan is running at 5217 - 5274 (back and forth) that should be pleanty fast for it...it seemed to help once I switched the window fan around anyway.

What temperatures is the meter reading(CPU, system, video card, etc.)?

somewhere in your case there must be a fan which is blowing in the wrong direction.I would turn all the fans off expect the ones u have on the cpu and graphics card.and swictch the others on 1 at a time till u find the problem.It could be you've got too many fans running at the wrong speeds

for the hardware you've got,your processor would be under allot of pressure.A 1.2AMD isn't really sufficant

CPU = 105f idle, 109-110f in games.
Video = 90f idle, 93-95f in games.

BTW I have a 400w Power supply.

Those temps are ok, assuming that the temp sensors and the readsout meters are accurate.
However, since removing the case door stops the freezing problem, then overheating is the cause.
If possible, place a temp sensor a few inches down from the top of the case.
If that shows a temp of 100+ deg. F, then that may be the cause of your problem.

One item that's critical for proper case cooling is to prevent the air inside the case from exceeding atmospheric pressure, i.e., become over pressured.
This means that the cfm capacity of the outflow fans sucking air out of the case has to be at least equal to or preferably a little greater than the cfm capacity of the inflow fans blowing air into the case.
Based on this design criteria, it's possible that your inflow fans' cfm capacity exceeds that of your outflow fans.
If that's not the situation, then you may want to consider installing an outflow fan either at the top of the case or at the top of the side cover, and see if that helps.

there are 5 fans blowing out

2 in the back
2 on the power supply
1 pci slot blower
plus I switched the window fan around to blow out which makes 6 fans blowing out

and the 2 in the front blowing in, so I guess I just need to add one or 2 more blowing in??

there are 5 fans blowing out

2 in the back
2 on the power supply
1 pci slot blower
plus I switched the window fan around to blow out which makes 6 fans blowing out

and the 2 in the front blowing in, so I guess I just need to add one or 2 more blowing in??

btw the window fan is not aligned with the processor so it shouldnt affect it. its blowing on the video card.

as you only have a 1.2 amd,you don't need the fans.just the one for the cpu and the one for the graphics card.If you put two more fans blowing in,you'll still have problems.
I used to have a 1.1 amd duron,and I had 4 fans,and after a few months the cpu fan actually snapped off,(the plastic fan) and the cpu burnt out.The shape of the case also makes a difference to the air flow.It's trial and error.Good luck

as you only have a 1.2 amd,you don't need the fans.just the one for the cpu and the one for the graphics card.If you put two more fans blowing in,you'll still have problems.
I used to have a 1.1 amd duron,and I had 4 fans,and after a few months the cpu fan actually snapped off,(the plastic fan) and the cpu burnt out.The shape of the case also makes a difference to the air flow.It's trial and error,even how close you set your computer to a wall makes a difference to air flow.Good luck

Your video card has a built-in fan which is sufficient to cool its chipset.
So if your current configuration with the window fan pulling air out of the case does not work, then turn off the window fan to get the air flowing into the front of the case and out the back, and see if that works.

If not, then you may have to install either an outflow fan or a vent at the top of the case to get rid of the heat building up inside.

I think I have the problem solved... I turned all the fans off except the cpu and videocard fans and temp jumped to 110+. So I turned them all back on and turned the window fan around again to blow inward. Now I have 3 blowing inward and 4 blowing outward and the temp is at a steady 102f Thanks all for your help. The lesson I learned is to have fans blowing in the right direction :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back