Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Dispersion Information 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiservguy

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
US
We're laying the groundwork for upgrading the AC unit for our computer room. I'm trying to find heat dispersion information for our servers, with no luck. I can't find the info on any exposed surface of the servers, in any documentation we got, or on Dell's website. I've got a calculation that will let me determine it based on power supply, but I'd prefer something from the manufacturer if I can get it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I got this info from Dell (via our account manager) when I asked (in the UK we work off British Thermal Units (BTU) for this, not sure if it's the same where you are). Dell provided us some estimates for BTUs for a couple of server types with the warning it won't be entirely accurate given the multiple different configurations of server you can have (i.e. a dual CPU and 6 HDD config is going to generate a lot more heat than a single CPU 2 HDD config).

The figures they gave me for a minimal spec 2600 was 783 BTU and for a 1750 it was 613 BTUs.

Thanks, NickFerrar. I've sent off a question to my account rep as well.

I'm amazed at how difficult it is to find this information, considering all these servers are going into a room that probably has a dedicated environmental system. You'd think it would be easier to find this stuff so you can size the cooling equipment better. On the other hand, I guess this is where niche markets come from.

Wattage used by equipment in a server room varies according to load and equipment involved. At best, a computer manufacturer can give you an average wattage figure.

I would get a an amp meter with a minimum/maximum function and attach it to the circuit feed(s) to the servers; most rooms are feed by multiple circuits, so each circuit would need to calculated individually and combined for a total. A watt meter is an alternative, but less available than an amp meter. Voltage multiplied by the highest amperage used, will give the wattage used by the circuits; average load is not sufficient to figure load for A/C. Be sure to include the lighting circuit. If the highest wattage data used by all circuits, along with room size, wall/ceiling insulating values, and planned expansion info are given to an electrical/mechanical engineer, he should be able to size the A/C load properly.

If you use the rack advisor you can it shows heating and power info for all the servers, tape drives, UPS and all the other Dell products and lets you add non-dell if you know the stats and has a graphic display of the rack and space left.

It's free from Dell and here is the link

HTH
Michael

Thanks for the tip, Michael. It does give good info on rack-mounted equipment, which gets me closer than I was before. Unfortunately we've got some legacy dell towers, as well as non-Dell equipment. But as a ballparking tool, it will work pretty well.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard back from my Dell rep yet, either with specific information or mention of this tool...

Just an FYI the version I have on my desktop and the one sent you the link to has all the Dell legacy severs in it. Like the old white box towers like 2100/2200 are in there.
And there is a yellow NON-Dell button that’s lets you enter the height, weight, thermal, amps for 100, 115, 230 that I use to calculate my Compaq boxes.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back