Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heard of "Windows Antivirus 2004" program? 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnF

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2001
US
Hello,

I looked at someone's computer yesterday to clear up some hard drive space. There computer had several spyware/advertising popup programs on it as well that I discovered. But what disturbed me most was that they were running Antivirus software I had never heard of--Windows Antivirus 2004. It wasn't a Symantec or McAfee product, though it used a similar style and color scheme of that of Symantec's with the yellows and blacks.

Supposedly, the owner of the computer said that they got a message (whether popup, E-mail, or otherwise I don't know) saying their antivirus was about to expire and that they needed to renew. Norton Antivirus had been uninstalled from the PC (logged in the XP restore checkpoint list) a couple weeks ago and somehow this Windows Antivirus took it's place. I've done searching on Google and cannot find any reference to this software. I looked at the Help --> About drop down menu for the software and it did not mention a company or URL It just had a yellow window with the software name and version. The software was VERY basic with basic menus and basic screens. I removed the software and installed a Symantec product.

I'm worried that this might not be a legit program and that it may not be completely removed from the system. Does anyone know anything about Windows Antivirus 2004?

That could be it. It's using the same "feel" or look. The only exception is they are calling it WinAntivirus 2004, whereas the software windows and the Help--> about window called it Windows Antivirus 2004 (instead of WinAntivirus 2004). Short of installing it and trying it out, I'm not sure. I might test it on a non-networked PC that I don't care about.

I also noticed how the WinAntivirus 2004 link you provided has some really lame webpage (lacking) contact info, support section, etc.... Kinda like the software was lacking anything but basic features.

and a few spelling/grammatical mistakes. If it was a legitimate commercial product , I think that the authors would have taken more care over it.

John

That appears to be it. I looked at the manual and they show a screen shot of the main control panel for the software. That's what it looked like. However, halfway through looking at the manual, Adobe locked up along with the browser window I had opened at I hope something isn't happening on my PC now.... Time to check the firewall traffic.

Oh great, I just figured out something else. The user had downloaded a popup blocker program, but another website is also calling that one spam. It's called PopupGuard. The website warning to avoid it is:

I found this out because the tire-of-spam page also mentions WinAntivirus 2004! I just happened to notice that the popupguard program was also mentioned on the webpage.

Amazing reading guys, looks like you have come to the right conclusion. Hard to believe people would buy spam protection from a spam email, or pop up blockers from a pop up ad, but people will. I'd bet Symantec would like to hear about this even if they haven't already. Clearly is was designed to fool users of thier products.

I just inadvertantly purchased winantivirus. I was renewing my Symantec SW and, not paying too much attention, filled out the winantivirus popup rather then the Symantec window in behind it. Clever marketing as it looks like Symantec. I did not install the SW and am in the process of getting a refund from billingnow.com.

Lesson - pay attention. My biggest concern is that they now have my CC #, expiry date, billing address, etc.

I have just reported this product to symantec, referencing this thread and the website above. I will let you know what (if anything) happens.

John

I reported it to Symantec as well. I asked them to fill me in when they are done on what they found.

I know someone that did this too.. what is that fax number???? Thanks!

The Fax Number for Billingnow.com is:

Fax: 617-687-0302

Unfortunately they never responded to me. I did receive an answer from customer support at WinAntivirus:

support@winantivirus.com

I think if you write a nasty letter, they will refund your money, no questions asked.

Well, I've still not heard anything from Symantec, so can only assume that they're not interested in this blatant stealing of their image and possible tarnishing of their reputation.
I have posted a note in the Spyware newsgroup at Gibson Research, so hopefully this may get Steve Gibson, internationally recognised IT security expert, to look at it. His profile might make Symantec wake up and take notice.

John

I haven't heard anything from Symantec either. The person whose laptop I originally worked on and found WinAntivirus on is just cutting their losses monetary-wise. The computer appears to be ok now after several weeks of use, now that I uninstalled WinAntivirus and PopupGuard, installed Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, ran Ad-aware and Spybot, manually removed anything referring to WinAntivirus or PopUpGuard n the registry.

I had the same experience as Shawn. My customer got hooked into buying the WinAntivirus 2004 software by the spyware redirecting his renewal traffic to the WinAV site. The spyware actually hijacked the traffic from Symantec's renewal center page and redirected it to the WinAV site. I have reported it to not only Symantec but also the Federal Trade Commission and since they are using Microsoft Windows in their ads I reported it to Microsoft as well. What really needs to happen is for these pernicous vermin to be hunted down and chained face first to wall in Iraq for Al Qaeda to use for their carnal enjoyment.

Also, just to ad insult to injury, there is an ad for this EXACT same software at the top of this Tek-Tips page. Right next to a Norton AV ad. Maybe Tek-Tips should be a little more careful who they are accepting ads from.

The problem I am having is with 3 full screen popups: WinAntivirus, WinPopupGuard and WinFirewall2004. They are all registered out of the country. The completely fill my screen so I have to alt-ctrl-del to get rid of them. I've run Ad-Aware and SpyBot - they find it, I delete them but they come right back. Shawn posted that he/she removed all references in the registry but I don't know how to do that (I'm only semi-techy). These popup are driving me crazy. Can anyone here please HELP!!!!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back