Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Headset settings on 9508 telephone? Feedback/Screech on Headset problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM Voice Data

Technical User
Nov 28, 2017
CA
I have a customer with 2 Avaya IP Office 9508 sets within 10 feet of each other. Both have Sennheiser wired headsets.
the first one works fine without problems. The 2nd one has basically tried changing everything including the telephone, headset, quick disconnect cord, but intermittently has problems with the onset of a loud screech or feedback. the sound can come on at any time.
i have checked the Audio settings and they are both set the same way, and i don't really want to mess around with these without some direction.
There is a large multi function printer about 5 feet from the 2nd desk, but i have tried making calls with the headset cord draped over the printer and not been able to reproduce the problem.
I have only been able to find answers regarding issues with the speaker noise on the 9508, which i don't have a problem with.
Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this and how to fix it?
Thanks
JB

First thing that I would try to do is try turning off the automatic gain control on these phones. Go to menu on the phones, advanced options then turn the AGC off.

Another thing that you can do is to switch the port that connects to that phone. If you've got an open digital port, or one that is low usage and known to be OK as far as audio quality goes, I would swap those ports out and see if that helps with the trouble.

The phone in question is one of 2 reception telephones, so basically in use all day (Medical office appointments).
is there an easy way to switch the set to another port without reprogramming (set relocation)?
i haven't tried doing that on an IPO and i don't want to mess things up with the groups the set is in.
these are the 2 sets that are using headsets right now. The system has only been in place for less than 2 months.

The easiest way to do this would be to physically walk up to the unit (or walk somebody through doing this), locating an open or low-usage port, and physically swapping the CAT5 cables. You should be able to do this live without disrupting the other workstations. You can login to Manager later and change the base ports if you need to.

i am a bit confused by your reply, as it sounds like basically this phone (and extension) are just moving to another location, which isn't feasible. i haven't used this feature, but can you log out a set at point A then log in at point B, log in the 2nd set,THEN physically switch the ports? Or is there another quick way to move the programming to the new port? FYI, the problem phone also has an add on module.
The new port also would then become the high usage port and i am pretty sure there are no spare digital ports available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back